The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Saturday 12 February 2011

14th Feb - Mysore


View India To 23rd Feb 2011 in a larger map

I got up early this morning and decided to go for a run up to the top of the temple - a 5 mile round trip. I have been eating and drinking way too much over the last few days of total relaxation and decadence and my running ability was terrible. I really enjoyed getting out of the house and having some time to myself though. A lovely, sunny morning - blue skies and great views from the top of the hill. It is very peaceful here - even though the festival is still going on and I had to run through it to get to the temple.

I sat and pondered the meaning of life on the top for a while and then ran back to get showered and dressed so that we could go to Mysore for lunch. Marianda is going to stay in Mysore for a couple of days and then head on to Bangalore. The idea was that we would all have lunch, say our farewells and me and Johnie would return to the Jungle and I would then head off on my bike in 2 days once I had finished all of my internet stuff. Best made plans and all..... We ended up staying in Mysore for 3 days and I am still in the jungle at Johnie's house as I am writing this now.

We had to drive through the festival to get on to the road to Mysore. It took a while to get through but I did not mind as it was great to watch a couple of Hindu's men painted like tigers and being paraded through the crowds in chains.

The drive to Mysore was interesting. It is only 130km but it took about 2.5 hours. I am missing being on my bike a bit now. I always feel caged in a car and never take in as much as when I am going slowly on my bike. It was interesting to watch the countryside change from Jungle land and national parks to villages and towns and then to Mysore. There used to be Banyan Trees along the side of the road all the way from Mysore to the Jungle. These would provide shade for the rich people traveling between the 2 places. Unfortunately many of them have now been chopped down by the government.

When we got to Mysore, Johnie checked his car in at a garage to have the tyres replaced and we all went for lunch at the Parkclub Restaurant and Hotel. This was the first high end restaurant I have been in during my trip around India so far. Johnie ordered lots of lovely wine and food for me and Miranda. It was strange as although the food was good when it finally arrived it took ages and the service was worse than many other places I have eaten in which only cost 50p for a meal and drinks.

Another friend of Johnie's, Manish, joined us for lunch. He works just round the corner from the restaurant. He is also a couch surfer and he offered to put Miranda up for the few nights that she is staying in Mysore. The wine flowed and we then had to make the decision about whether to stay in Mysore so that Johnie could continue drinking and I could explore or whether to go back to the Jungle. I suggested that Johnie experience the travelers view of India and spend a couple of nights at a hotel for £2 per night..... He instead suggested that I should experience extravagant India and stay in a high end hotel. I was not complaining... so he booked us in.


After lunch Johnie went off to pick up his car and suggested that Miranda and I should go and see the Palace and have a wander round Mysore. We ourselves off on a horse drawn carriage to go from Parklane to the entrance of the Palace. Today is a day of India in STYLE! I could get used to this :-)

The Palace was very impressive. We did not go in as it was getting late in the day and you have to pay to get in. We thought we might do that tomorrow instead. We had a lovely wander round the grounds.

I had a good old fashioned girly natter with Miranda. I have really warmed to her over the last few days. When we both arrived at Johnie's she was absolutely knackered and rather vacant. I was not sure whether this was because she was over tired or just her personality. It turned out to be that she was exhausted. She is really quite fun and incredibly cheeky.

Once we had explored the grounds of the Palace we walked back through town to meet up with Johnie. Another couple of bottles of wine were consumed and we all then decided to go and explore Mysore center. We got into an Auto-rickshaw asked to go to a particular night market - a few kms away. The driver said that as it was nearly 8pm it would be closing soon and so asked if we would like to go to another market. We said "yes" and off we went. After about 1 minute he pulled up and said "there you go". He had literally driven us round the corner from the restaurant to a really quiet area where there were 3 clothes shops open. Funny. We suggested that he take us to the center of town instead and he happily obliged.

We had a wonder round Ghandi square and some shops and then met up with Manesh again. We all had a night cap at a roof top restaurant which looks out over the city. It was a lovely place - but with lots of other Westerners (what are they doing in MY India?? ;-)).

Miranda headed off with Manesh to meet his family and Johnie and I went to our hotel. (the Windflower). and what a place it was! He had kindly got me an amazing room! There was even a little pool outside.






I won the bet that I would not jump in the cold pool - Johnie has not yet worked me out. All my friends know that I am stupid enough to do it just for a bet let alone a whole 500RS! That's £7.50!

An amazing day was had by all.







No comments:

Post a Comment