The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Sunday 13 March 2011

13th March - Kunnur to Bekal Fort


View India to 18th March 2011 in a larger map

Only 1223km to Mumbai....

Up early and re organised my bags. I don't like not knowing where everything is and it being neat and tidy. Since leaving NZ I have 2 new bags and loads of clothes suitable for India and I am just trying to get into a routine again like I he'd in other countries...

Had breakfast at the Indian coffee house downstairs and then had a wonder round town while waiting for the office of the Samsung service center to open so that I could call and find out if they have the new laptop screen I need in stock. The did not understand enough English on the phone so I packed up my stuff and biked to find them. They are based down a tiny little lane and I only found it with the help of an auto rickshaw driver whom I followed there.

The same lady that I spoke to in the Airtel office last night was there as it is her husbands business. She helped me by phoning around but said it will be very hard to get a replacement as theft model is not sold in India. She suggested I try Mumbai. Arrg.

It was 11ish by the time left the office. I headed to the beach and biked along the beach road parallel to the sea for about 1 hour before the road took me inland. I managed to stay off the main highway for several hours and ride through lovely little villages.

I then had to join the NH17 as there were no alternative roads. What a difference it made! I had not realised quite how much harder going it is biking on the little lanes due to the poor condition of the surface. Saying that though the main highway did just turn into a dirt track in several places where they are doing road works.

There was not as much traffic today as it is Sunday.

I was planning on getting to Karasgod tonight but I changed my mind when I arrived at Bekal Fort. I did not know about this major tourist spot before I saw it sign posted just off the highway. I wanted to go and see it but realised that it would mean I would not get to Karasgod before dark. I checked into a local lodge and dropped off my bags and went for an explore. The fort was very impressive from the outside but I had got there too late to go in as it shut at 5. I had a wander round the outside and then biked down to the local beach where they have a huge fun park. It cost 10RS to get in (about 15p) and had loads of rides and fun things for the kids. There was a great view of the fort from the park but unfortunately I just missed getting photos of the sunset by minutes as there was a queue to get in and it took me a while to find the right entrance etc.

I went back to the hotel and spent some time on my blog and reading and then decided to have an early night and went to sleep about 10.

I then had a bit of a scary night when at midnight some men tried to break into my room in my hotel. They turned off the electricity from the outside and were demanding that I let them in. They where pushing the door and trying to get in through the windows... I sat there with knife in hand trying to explain to non English speaking police men on the phone which hotel I was in! It took 1h30 for the Police to arrive - all the time the men were trying to gain access and saying I should let them in.

When the Police arrived I would not let them in for ages as they would not pass their ID under the door and I was not sure that it was them or the other men pretending. Eventually they convinced me and I opened the door. The hotel manager had been woken up and was trying to tell the police that I had been imaging it and that it was the traffic shaking the windows! Interesting how windows and doors can talk and turn off electricity!

The shutters of the hotel had been locked in the evening so it turned out that it was only possible for other occupants of the hotel (or the hotel staff) to be trying to force their way in rather than people from outside.

I was very grateful to Johnie on the other end of the phone whom found out numbers for different Police departments and tried to phone them for me. He knew where I was and what was happening. It was really lovely to have someone in India to call and rely on. Thanks Johnie!

Once the Police arrived the harassment then stopped but I could not get back to sleep for a while as my heart was pounding! The policemen had given me several personal mobile numbers to call if there was a problem and said they would be back within 5 mins if I needed. It made me much happier to know this.

I am fine now. Other than this experience the Indian people have been very friendly. I gave a police statement the morning after (tomorrows blog) and they took it very seriously.


1 comment:

  1. Thinking of you Em. Sounds like you have been having a great time, don't let this ruin it.

    Happy Travelling.

    Adrian (Dunedin, NZ)

    ReplyDelete