The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Saturday 23 October 2010

21st Oct - 23rd Oct - Sydney to Forster

21st Oct 2010 - Sydney to Avoca


View Australia Tracks in a larger map

Really feeling excited now. Fully rested and packed and organised and really to go. Couch surfing tonight for the first time ever.

Cleaned up Dan's flat and packed everything. Poached eggs on toast for breakfast :-) Left about midday and biked through Sydney CBD down to the Ferry terminal. Unfortunately, my bike started making bad noises again from the back wheel. I had tested it over the last 2 days biking around Sydney and it was absolutely fine. As soon as I put more weight on it (with all of my bags) the noise started again. It is obviously just the extra pressure on the wheel.

Sat and watched the world go by and took photos of the Opera house while waiting for the Manly ferry at 2. The ferry ride was really worth doing. Great views of the Opera House and Bridge.

From Manly I biked up the coast from manly to palm beach. First bit was very slow, hilly and too much traffic. Very built up. Even though all of the individual items I am carrying do not weigh much they all realLy add up. I may get rid of camping equipment when I go to India. It makes a massive difference to how fast I can cycle. I think I am averaging 15km/hour where as in the UK on my racing bike with no bags I was averaging about 35km/hour.

After a couple of hours I found some lovely quite roads along the coast with great views. I stopped off at a couple of bike shops on the way to check the back wheel. They both said that Dan had done an awesome job of taking the back wheel to pieces and re-greasing it but that once they bearings start making a noise the only way to fix it is to replace all of the parts. Even a tiny scratch which can't be seen by eye can cause a noise. They said that it was not a problem to continue riding for a while if the noise was not bothering me. I decided to carry on and get it fixed when I stop somewhere for a while. I will do that in a couple of weeks when I meet Kim in Brisbane.

The palm beach ferry to Ettalong wad great. Took about 30 mins. Views amazing. I meet the "Ferry Friends" that travel every day to work on the ferry. Non of them work together but they have got to know one another as they see each other every day. They thought that I was mad biking but were very friendly. Mel very kindly offered me a lift to where I am staying tonight
at North Avoca Beach as he was going that way. Fab! No need to kill myself on first day and it was great to arrive early.
I got to Kurt's house about 6. My first couch surfing experience. Had a really awesome stay. They were lovely. They were out playing tennis but left it open for me to just let myself in and get showered etc. There were 3 guys, Matt, John and a Kurt and also Kurt’s girl friend (I can't spell her name and so I am not even going to embarrass myself trying - Kurt if you are reading this please email me her name). They kindly spared their Mexican and wine (GOON sac - new term for boxed wine) with me.

Played Table Tennis with Matt till late. These guys have got life sorted. Work till 4 then the decision on whether to go surfing or play tennis, squash, sea kayak. Weekends spent partying. House is in a valley surrounded by trees and only 5 minutes from the beach. They are really chilled and spend the weekends partying. Matt made the fantastic observation about how ironic it is that the "convicts" from the uk where sent to this island paradise and now loads of people from the UK are trying to get here.
I heard the Cicadas for the first time. They were really loud. Apparently they are just going to get loader as the summer arrives. There were also loads of bats.

My first experience of couch surfing rocked!



FB:http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=95710&id=1408960696&l=efd5c87cb5

22nd Oct 2010 - Avoca to Anna Bay


View Australia Tracks in a larger map

Beautiful sunny morning. Spent some time couch surfing and had a fried breakfast with Matt.

Left at 11 and headed north. First bit very hilly. Slow going to start. Biked through The Entrance, along the coast. I had a long way to go today to get to my next couch surfing destination and so hitched along bits of highway where there was no other country route. I put my bike on a bus from Swansea to Newcastle as the roads were too busy. The only road was the equivalent to a Motorway in the UK. Caught the ferry from Newcastle to Stockton around 5 and then biked from there to past Williamtown. It was getting late and I was feeling bad about turning up so late at someone's house so although legs were ok I hitched to Anna bay. Lovely guy picked me up in a delivery van and drove me the last 15km. Unfortunately I am really rubbish with names and I can't remember his (if you are reading this please email me your name and I will add it here!).
Note to self: remember to write down people's names!



Couch Surfed in Anna bay at The Wanderers Retreat (http://www.wanderersretreat.com) in Peter and Jackie's home. They have a fantastic property in the middle of acres of trees. They run a business renting out cottages and tree houses in the bush. A fantastic place to stay on holiday. I arrived about 7, settled in and then had a lovely spag boll meal with Peter. Jackie arrived after work later on. They are really lovely people and it was great to hear their traveling stories and learn more about the area. They kindly phoned a friend up in Forster to arrange a place for me to stay tomorrow. Thanks so much Peter and Jackie for such a lovely stay!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=95713&id=1408960696&l=d505bde6cf

23rd Oct 2010 - Anna Bay to Forster


View Australia Tracks in a larger map

Saw my first ever Koalas, Pelans and Goannas in the wild today! Camels as well.....

Jackie and Peter took me on a tour of the area first thing to see a Koala, the 30km beach and rolling sand dunes of Anna Bay and then to the look out over Nelson Bay. It is a really beautiful area. I would very much recommend going on holiday here. There is sand surfing on the dunes and Camel rides. I came all the way to Aus to see Camels!

There was no ferry at 10 (as advertised on the net) so I sat and had coffee at the harbor with Dan and Jackie and then got the ferry to Tea Gardens at 11.15. Ferry guy let me on for just $5 rather than $15. Thanks!

It is a lovely sunny morning again. The ferry ride over to Tea Gardens is over 1 hour long and really worth doing. The route goes the same way as the Whale/Dolphins tours but costs a lot less. I met 5 sisters on the ferry that were very chatty and friendly. They go on holiday together for 1 week every year.

In Tea Gardens I met Ronda on the Harbor. She offered me a free sausage in a bun to help me on my way so I popped to the local church (where they were having a jumble sale) to get a sausage for lunch. Everyone was really friendly. Ronda said that they would put an article in the local paper to try to help me raise money for Oxfam. Cool. Thanks!

Set off at 1.30 with a long bike ride ahead. The ride was amazing! This is what I came to Aus for. The route took me along quiet country roads (Mungo Brush Road) through the Myall Lakes National Park and along the coast. Strong head wind though made it hard going. When I got to the Ferry at Boomeri, the ferry man told me that they had been working on the trail to Seal Rocks and that it was now passable by bike. It was a short cut and so I thought I would chance it. I am really glad that I did as it was a really beautiful through dense bush but it was very hard going. The route had been improved for vehicles with gravel but it was no good for bikes with slick tires and a lot of weight on the back. I had to push the bike through the sand for about 10km. I did not see another person for about 2 hours. I did see loads of Goannas - one was 2m long and scared me but running across the track straight in front of me! One of the screws holding my pannier rack to my bike snapped in two so I replaced it with another one - which then also snapped. I will have to fix it tomorrow but fortunately it is still rideable.

I was glad when I got back on the tarmac road but I still had 34km to go to get to Forster and it was 6pm. I carried on biking for another 10km or so and was worrying about turning up late to Kim's house in Forster when a car passed me and then pulled in. I was wondering why they had stopped when out popped Dan Simms! Small world. He is spending a weekend break in the area. What perfect timing. He kindly gave me a lift to Forster Keys. I then biked from there to Forster and to Kim's house for about 7. Sometimes things just really work out.

I had a lovely evening getting to know Kim. She cooked us a great meal and I had a relax in the bath. Chatted till latish. She is wanting to travel more to the UK. It turns out that she had just joined couch surfing 3 days ago and I had sent a request to stay with her 2 days ago. She did not see the request in time and so did not answer but separately Peter from the previous nights accommodation had phoned her to ask if I could stay. Peter/Jackie and her have been friends for the last 20 years. Again, very small world! I have been really lucky so far....

Couch surfing is a really great way to met different people. It is great to meet Australians in their homes rather than just stay in hotels (where you could be anywhere in the world).

FB: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=95715&id=1408960696&l=9793d972ea

1 comment: