The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Friday 17 June 2011

14th June - Guilin to Longsheng

Up about 8 but still tired as I have not been getting enough sleep recently. I used the fast internet connection to order a new bottom bracket and a tool for fitting it to be sent to my Dads in England. He can bring them when we meet in Beijing :-) I also ordered a clip for my gopro camera so that it can be attached to be handle bars or helmet again. I also used the fast internet connection to load up my gps track in google maps so that I can update my stats and distances. All in all a productive morning and night last night on the web.


I was ready to leave by 12 but faffed for a while repacking my bags and chatting with the lovely staff at the hostel. I had noodles for lunch in Guilin and left the city about 2. It was a tough road as it was very hilly and I needed to do 100km to get to the Longsheng Rice Fields today. I need to have enough time to get a train to Chengdu to met with Jenna (another solo female cyclist in China right now).


This was the first day that I really saw old buildings in China. There were loads of wooden houses that look similar to French Chalets. The scenery was great, road good condition but hilly.


I did not quite make the village that I was planning on stopping but when I was buying the entry ticket for the scenic area (£8 and well worth it) the lady at the ticket office phoned ahead and booked me in at a closer village. It worked out perfectly as I arrive just as it was dark at 8.

The place was great. Just like a French wooden chalet. I got an ensuite room for £4. The family did not have any other guests in their huge house. They were very welcoming. I was not hungry and so just had a reasonably early night. After showering, washing my clothes, unpacking and charging my electrical things sometimes there is not much time left at the end of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment