The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Monday 6 June 2011

5th June - Bike Fixing

Up at 8ish and had a leisurely breakfast in my room. It is really lovely having cooking gas again (I bought some in Hong Kong). It means that I can easily make myself a fresh coffee and some porridge in the morning without having to go and find breakfast elsewhere.

I took my bike and took a wonder along the river into town. I passed a few places that I thought might be able to weld the bike but they did not feel quite right. Eventually I found a motorbike repair place with a smiling chap inside. I popped in and tried to explain what I needed to be done. The guy seemed very keen to help but I was worried that he might misunderstand me and so I phoned Rantu (from Couch Surfing whom I stayed with a couple of nights ago) and asked for his help translating. It was really helpful having Rantu as an emergency back up for this task. Rantu said that the guy was not trying to rip me off and that I should trust him and if I wanted I could go with him to his friends workshop. It turns out that it is a festival for the next 3 days in China and most businesses are closed. The guy in the shop had to ask his friend to help out as a favour.

Couch Surfing and getting contacts in a particular country can work really well. They are generally happy to help out in emergencies and also give advice on what to expect and whom to trust. Rantu also gave me invaluable advice that you do not pay the price advertised at hotel receptions! You can bargain down. A room with AC should be about £8 and I should be able to get one in small towns without AC for about £5.


While I sat an waited for the guy (unfortunately I have no idea how to write his name in English) to arrange things with his friend and then wait for his son to come and mind the shop, I was given enough tea to drown myself and also some sticky rice and beans wrapped in leaves to eat. It is a local dish.

The man was incredibly welcoming. He showed me to his computer so I could use the internet while I waited.


The guy used this fantastic writing tool to put Chinese symbols into google translate so that we could communicate. He writes on the pad and the symbol appears on the screen as a huge symbol which the computer then converts into a digital version.


I followed the guy round to his friends house where there were about 5 men all sitting smoking and drinking tea in lovely little cups. They were really welcoming and offered me lots of tea.


And then they set to work........


First they un-did all the brake and gear cables..... (oh no I thought)



Secondly they used a HAMMER to bang my bike....... (ARRGGG)



Then they melted out the bent bits.........



Then they covered the frame with a steel sleeve and welded it in place........


The whole experience was very nerve racking as I was not sure whether they would be able to do a good job......


Once I was sure that they were doing something sensible I left them to finish the welding and I took a walk into town to buy some treats for the guys doing the work and also to get a new phone cable (mine has disappeared) and a new Sim card for China with a better data allowance package. It turns out that the package that I had purchased for the first Sim card that I bought when I had crossed the boarder only clicks in at the end of this month rather than straight away. A different sim card has different packages which allow immediate package activation. Cool. I now have 5G to use on my phone for the next month. It means that I can use my phones' internet connection on my laptop and keep up to date with my blog without having to find internet cafes. However, the connection is pretty slow!

It worked really well to phone China Mobile and talk to an English speaking advisor who then instructed the guys in the shop to do what I needed. China Mobile is the only mobile company I have ever come across that answers the call immediately and are actually really helpful! I have called them about 5 times now and each time it has been excellent service :-)


The town is actually quite large with shinny shops and a KFC! It was interesting to have an explore.


When I got back with biscuits, cake and tea for the guys I was really happy to see my bike all finished. They helped me to tune my gears again and also fixed my pannier rack properly so that I no longer need cable ties.

It worked out so well. I was very happy. The guys were really very nice and would not except a single penny for the work that they did on the bike. I had a lovely afternoon with them and I enjoyed the insight into the Chinese culture. I have never drunk so much tea in my life! It is amazing how much you can communicate without language.


This little child ate about half of the biscuits and cake!


After another explore of the town and a quick very late lunch at 4pm, I went back to the hotel. I had a very decedent couple of hours while there was a thunderstorm going on outside. Rather than catching up on my blog I watched a film on my laptop. I must remember every now and again that I don't need to either be blogging, cycling, meeting people or exploring all of the time! I am supposed be having a year off. As I don't want to forget parts of this trip I like to keep on top of my diary/blog and as I keep on trying to fit in to many things I am often behind on it. Therefore, sometimes it becomes a chore that is hanging over me of something I must do when ever I have a spare minute. Today I said no and just chilled on my own instead. Well done me ;-)

I then did do some blog stuff until late at night. I found out that it is very difficult to catch up on my blog at the same time as watching a foreign film with subtitles - watching Father Ted in be back ground is much easier... (thanks Johnnie) :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment