The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Sunday 30 January 2011

18th Jan - Katikati chilling day

Up about 8ish to have breakfast with Neil. It was a shame that he has to work today as we were hoping to be able to go tramping but a job came up at the last minute. It was raining and very windy anyway all day today and so it was no problem to have a day inside.

Neil took me to meet his parents that live just round the corner and then dropped me off at Kumar's and Carol's house. Kumar is a Kiwi but was born in India and spend 4 years cycling from India to New Zealand several years ago. Neil thought that he would be a good person to meet before I head off to India in one week. He was right. :-)

Carol and Kumar were very welcoming and Kumar spent a couple of hours talking to me about my route and giving me suggestions of what to do when I get there and which route I should take. It was good as the route he suggested was pretty much what I am planning: up the West coast from Kerala to Mumbai and then cut across through the countryside (maybe part of that by train if I feel unsafe) to Deli and the Tai Maharl, to Varanessi and then up to Kathmandu. Looking at the distances it should be fine to do in a couple of months. Kumar also suggested getting some Indian clothes when I arrive (I was also planning on that). Kumar traveled and stayed with different religious groups each night. He recommended that I do the same so that I can meet "real" Indian people and experience Indian culture without just staying in tourist hotels. Staying with religous groups are more likely to be safe and they are likely to look after me. I will probably try it out once I have settled in to India once more.

It was great to have some Indian food for lunch with Carol and Kumar. I am looking forward to the food in India even more now :-)

I did not get back to Neil's house until about 3. I traveled back in "Spot" - Neils old car. Neil kindly lent me "Spot" to get around in today and tomorrow! It is strange to drive again after a while of not driving. When I got back I spent some time on the internet and trying to catch up with blog and photos etc. I was planning on going for a run but as time ticked away and the weather was terrible I did not end up going out.

Had a very chilled evening with Neil. He cooked some lovely lamb chops and veg and we sat and nattered for ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment