The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Friday 7 January 2011

3rd Jan - 175km Bike Ride to Nelson to see Harry Potter

We packed up and headed off at about 10 after breakfast of porridge and coffee. Traveling with Christoph is becoming a routine now..... it has been lovely to travel with someone fun and one the same sort of budget and very happy to eat cheap food and camp for free in the middle of no-where.

I looked at the map and tried to guess the distance to Nelson - it looked like about 150km (but some of the numbers had rubbed off and some others where obstructed by other symbols and so it was a guess). It turned out to be 175km :-)

I left where we camped at 10 but then met some lovely people at a campsite just down the road and they offered me tea and biscuits and so I did not really get going till 11. Bob and Barbara Thomas are traveling with Barbara's parents for a few weeks around New Zealand but are based in Brisbane, Australia.

I then stopped off on the way to take in the scenery and take some pictures etc. At another look out (Hope Saddle) I met Joyce Bottom and her family and again stopped to chat for a bit. At about 5.30 I met Manuel (from Milford Sounds) at the top of a hill I had just climbed. He had seen me on the road and stopped at the top to say hello. It was good to catch up and find out what he had been up too over the last few days since we parted.

It was a lovely ride in the sunshine through fab countryside but it was a hard, long day. I really had to push to get to Nelson for about 8 to met Christoph and have enough time to change etc before going to see the latest Harry Potter film at 8.40. So basically I biked 175km just to see a Harry Potter film! Madness and great fun. It was a real treat and I even bought some sweeties.....

After the film we drove towards the Abel Tasman National Park so that we could be close to start the walk tomorrow. Parked about 20km from the national park in a gravel path. It was last by the time we got to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment