The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Sunday 30 January 2011

21st Jan - Hot Water Beach to Thames

A tough biking day today. The weather had really turned over night and it was really windy and over cast first thing. Got up and made porridge and coffee for breakfast and then took a walk down to the beach for a morning swim. I walked the 3km up the beach to where the Hot Springs are but unfortunately it was high tide and the sea was very rough and so it was not possible to sit in the Hot Springs. However, it was still a good swim and a great way to wake up.

Packed up and on the road by 10.30 but then had to stop off and explain to a local farmer what I was doing there and get some water etc and so did not get going till 11. I took the scenic route again to Cooks Beach and got the ferry across to Whitianga for lunch time. On the way out of town the rain started heavily and I got pretty soaked. It was a real shame as I could see how beautiful the area and the views would be in the sunshine. It is a really nice coast. I decided to take the long route which is sealed rather than going on the unsealed short cut - both are very hilly though. It was very slow going from Whitianga to the Coromandel as there are 2 major passes which are steep and ascend for about 3-4km. I am carrying so much weight on the bike at the moment, had a head wind and was soaked through. I even had to stop and have a break for 2 mins half way up one pass...... Madness! I was not impressed with myself and decided to stop being a big girl - "Man Up" as some people might say ;-)

I got to Coromandel cold and wet. I stopped off at a cafe just to get some water and was going to head on but then got chatting to a guy (Duncan) at the cafe that was wearing a Musto Endeavor T-shirt (Americas cup sailing boat) and so got nattering with him and decided to stop for a coffee and a chat instead. It was good to have a break as I realised that my blood sugar had dropped too low again. On the way out of town I stopped and had some cereal and yogurt and felt much better for the food, coffee and break. I was then on a mission to get to Thames for a sensible time. My aim in the morning was to get there about 7 but leaving the Coromandel I realised I would be lucky to make it for 8.

There is another big pass south of Coromandel town which goes up and down for about 25km but then the last 40km into Thames is pretty flat. I was very glad of that! I got a second wind and the adrenaline kicked in and I was flying along the coast at 25km per hour. I still did not get into Thames till just gone 8!

I looked like a drowned rat when I turned up at Raewyn and John's. John and Raewyn are the Godparents of Ange (who I meant in the South Island). Ange had once again very kindly sent me their contact details. It was so great to know that I had a warm bath and a meal to look forward too at the end of a long day - as well as some lovely company. It does not matter how cold and tired you get if there is a warm bath and bed at the end of the day. They are both keen cyclists and John is a serious runner. They have 4 kids that are all into loads of sports.

They have 2 great friendly cats - one of which is rather big boned. The skinny one decided that it would sleep at the end of my bed (and on my head) for the whole night. I wanted to take it with me....

No comments:

Post a Comment