The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Friday 29 July 2011

26th July - Leave Bulgan and ride 100km Northwest

We were up at 8 and had breakfast and packed up and on the road by 10. It was gray and miserable outside and so neither of us were in a hurry to go anywhere fast.

There is a climb out of town and the road is very exposed and this morning it was very windy and cold enough that we needed to put on jackets. I was not sad to see the back of Bulgan. It was a hard ride for the first 30km.


We were planning on stopping for lunch of peanut butter and jam sandwiches at 50km but about 45km we saw a little restaurant on the side of the road. It looked far more interesting than sandwiches as it was really just someones house rather than a restaurant. It turn out the right choice. The lady showed us round her small wooden house and cooked us pasta and mutton on her stove outside.


We chilled in the sun on her little veranda (which had a door to enter but no walls). I decided that I must be carrying too much stuff that I did not need and spent about 1 hour rearranging and organising my things to make room for more water. I found that I was not actually carrying anything that I did not need - with the exception of some shoes that I bought in India and did not like anyway. The only reason that I had kept them was that they are lightweight and I needed something to wear when going out in a dress or skirt (I have to be a girl sometimes). I gave the shoes to the lovely woman at the restaurant and she seemed very happy with them. In fact she then even re-threaded the cord on a bag for me :-)


The area is far more densely populated than the route that we took to get to Bulgan and there was a lot more traffic.


We hit tarmac again after 90km. Jenna bought a couple of bottles of beer and one fell out of her bag as soon as we hit the dirt road tracks. It squirted out everywhere and so she drank half and then carried the rest in her front bike bag :-)

We stopped just before 7.30 when we saw a great little camping spot. We had done 98km today without pushing hard at all (except against the wind in the morning).


It was lovely to have the tents up and diner on by 8 and then have some time at the end of the day to write this blog and faff with photos etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment