The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Wednesday 20 July 2011

2nd July - Meet My Pops in Beijing

The train journey had been so comfortable. I had never been on such a journey before! There was a private toilet and I was only sharing with one other person! I had actually slept really well.

When I arrived at the railway station at 8.30 I was happy to be able to actually get out without too much hassle (there were lifts and everything!). I biked for about 1 hour to my hotel using my Beijing map rather than GPS as once again I had a problem with the data connection plan (it had cut off yesterday as end of month).



It was a gray day and so the city did not look very inspiring but it was interesting to see never the less. I passed loads of interesting buildings and architecture just on the way to the hotel. Beijing felt really wealthy! Nice cars everywhere and very modern and clean.

I was fortunate that the Hotel let me check in early and I had a lovely shower and freshened up and then a little nap.

It was great to then go and have a long run in the gym and then use the sauna and steam room and do 100 lengths in the pool. I felt great after it!


My dad very kindly treated me to staying in a lovely 5* place. After traveling rough for months it was really great to relax in such a place :-) Thanks Pops! Our room was great and it had fab views over the city.


My Dad arrived in the middle of the afternoon and we nattered and caught up and then went for a wonder to find a Chinese Restaurant.

We had a fab time ordering different foods that we had never tried before, like bullfrog (actually quite tasty) and some strange fish dishes. We ordered far too much. The restaurant was very good. Dad found it strange that no one spoke English at all and we had to point at a wine bottle in order to place the order and they did not understand "wine". I was used to this by now and it had become normal for me and so it was fun to experience the excitement again at the differences between China and the UK through my Dad's eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment