The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Monday 29 August 2011

26th Aug - Stay with Siberian Family in Onguday

There was no water to the hotel when I woke up and so I could not use the loo inside or get a shower. I sat in my room catching up on my blog and using the internet until 11ish when I got all packed up. Fortunately the water cam back on about 12 and I could shower after I checked out.

The hotel staff were happy for me to sit in the empty restaurant area and write my blog on my laptop. My plan was to spend the day inside doing this (out of the bad weather and where there was a 3G signal on my mobile phone) and then head out of town in the evening and find somewhere to camp. I would then push on the biking the next day.

I left the hotel and went to buy some food and go to the post office in the middle of the afternoon. When I was at the Post Office a guy called Aider came and introduced himself to me in perfect English and asked if I needed some help with translation. He very kindly helped me to post my important letter (3 weeks minimum to the UK from here in Siberia!) and invited me back to his family home later.


I went back to the hotel and finished off my blog stuff and then headed round to Aider's family home. He said I could sleep in their Yurt rather than camp. I felt very comfortable in their company and took him up on the offer.


Aider tried to persuade me to go with him by car to a town 250km North and miss out the climb through the mountains but I really like mountains and it is supposed to be one of the most beautiful areas of the country and so I really wanted to do it by bike.


We had sheep's intestines for dinner - a new one for me. It is good to try new foods but I found these rather fatty and my stomach really was not so sure about them.


His 6 year old son, Mike, was very cute and got all dressed up for diner for their "special" guest i.e. me! It was lovely. I had a relaxed evening and thoroughly enjoyed chatting in fluent English with Aider.

No comments:

Post a Comment