The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Saturday 6 August 2011

5th Aug - Leave Jenna and continue on my own (ish)


View 5th Aug - Leave Jenna and Continue On My Own.kml in a larger map

One of the best biking days of the trip!

Up at 8 and stared preparing the fire for our breakfast etc. Pete had said last night that he would be round to join us for a BBQ breakfast and coffee and that he would return my head torch. We had all had a drink or two and so I wondered whether he would in fact return. I had kept his hat as a deposit - it was a nice hat...


He arrived for breakfast and we all had a chilled morning. I ate far too much mutton but loved it. It was good to have a swim in the lake to wash but it was very cold.

Jenna stayed in her tent most of the time as she was not feeling very well. :-(

When I woke up this morning I did not really know how the day would pan out. I had needed a day off the bike yesterday even though I have so far to go to get to the border and so few days to do it in and so I just relaxed. I know that today I should leave and get on the bike again but I was not sure whether I would be able too as I did not know how Jenna would be feeling. We talked about it and as she was not planning on going anywhere for a few days and that Andy was her to keep an eye on her that I should head off on my own.


I have been very happy biking on my own in other countries but I was apprehensive about biking on my own in Mongolia because it is SO remote. I had thought that I would be traveling with Jenna for the whole time (or Lu originally). Jenna had other spares than I did and we could share the food and cooking stuff etc. If there was a problem in the middle of nowhere with a bike then the other person could bike for help. Mongolian roads really do put a lot of pressure on bicycles especially when you have to carry so much water and food. However, I thought that, as in other countries, maybe if I was on my own then more Mongolians will help me (or molest me - not sure) if I needed. I enjoy biking on my own and so, other than the issues with equipment, I did not mind heading off on my own again :-)


I chatted with Pete and as he was going in the same general direction we decided to go together. Having had a very chilled morning, I packed up all of my things, said farewell to Jenna and Andy and biked round to meet Pete at the hotel where he was staying (it had hot showers and everything!). I put all my bags in the van he had hired for the 3 weeks and off we went. We arranged to met his driver and guide at a small salt lake to the South.

It was brilliant! I loved the freedom of biking without any luggage and still on tracks rather than the tarmac. The wind was behind us all the day and it was sunny and beautiful. I was in a great mood. What a difference it made not having any luggage and knowing that when we finished for the day we would have a hot meal prepared for us... It is certainly an easier way of doing Mongolia and I thoroughly enjoyed the change and to have the option to see what a difference it made.


I managed to get covered in oil and mud as normal!

We did 75km which turned out to be the longest ride that Pete had done so far in Mongolia! For me it was an easy day but with a few good climbs. I had forgotten that it was so hilly on the way to the lake. We had fun racing each other.


The guide and driver in the support vehicle were delayed and were not at the lake when we arrived but turned up after about 30 mins and set about making diner. Now this is the life! I could get used to this :-)


It was cold as usual at night time and so I wrapped up in 2 sleeping bags to keep warm.


We had a really lovely time chatting until late under a clear night sky. The stars are just amazing in Mongolia.

No comments:

Post a Comment