The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Monday 29 August 2011

29th Aug - Really cold, wet and sick

A rough climb on a dodgy stomach


I did not have a very good nights sleep because I had the shits and was up several times. I had forgotten to sterilise the water yesterday. It had seemed from a good source and I did not think that it would be a problem.

I got up early and wanted to get on the road but I had very little energy. I had stayed in Onguday for several days longer than expected and needed to get back on my bike though. I was packed and ready to go at 9 but I wanted to get some supplies and some Pepper spray (after all of the stories of bears and wolves that Aider had been telling me). It took a while to find the right shop and then get out of town again and so I was properly on the road for about 11.

My stomach really was not right and I was not in a great mood. The 900m climb from Onguday was 65km long and I really struggled. I was really cold and wet and the weather was rubbish. At the top of the pass there was snow on the road either side of me.

I did not want to change my wet cycling top to a dry warmer one as I would only get that one covered in sweat and then I would not be able to use that layer to sleep in if I had to camp. I really did not want to be freezing through the night and so I thought it best to just be cold in the day and keep my dry clothes separate.

By the evening, I had decided that as I was not well that (if I could find one) I should stay in a hotel rather than camp. I was looking forward to stoping at a hotel in the town of Tobuchaya but unfortunately it turned out to be a tiny village. My mood sank as I was really cold and I knew that I would have to get to at least the town of Shebalino to find a hotel and this was about 20km away. Normally not a problem but not when you are feeling knackered.


I was very glad when I stopped at the next village to ask if there was a hotel in the next town and a lady invited me in for some food and for a cup of tea. I was very cold and it was lovely to warm my hands on the cup and I felt so much better after some food. Even though my clothes were still wet through I was much warmer over all.


It was good that the ride to the town of Shebalino was downhill and it did not take very long but it did take about 30mins to find the center and then locate a hotel. I arrived at the only hotel in town at 8pm only to find that they were full. On the way out I met 4 guys that phoned the reception for me and checked but no luck. They suggested that I could stay with them in their room. I felt very unsure about the idea of sharing with 4 guys but they seemed fine. It was getting dark and it would take me a while to get out of town and find a place to put up my tent. I normally do not mind camping but I really did not want to tonight. My stomach was still bad, I had no energy and I could not face it. Therefore, I decided to take them up on their offer.


The guys went out to have a meal leaving me to shower and relax and they came back about 10. I felt so much better having had a shower and changed my clothes. I chatted with the guys until about 11 and fell asleep very easily. I was so glad to be in a bed, clean, warm and safe and sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment