The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Wednesday 12 October 2011

12th Oct - Leiden

I woke up when Andrew was getting ready for work and joined him for breakfast.


It was a miserable wet day and I did not feel like going anywhere. There was a market on outside and I really should have gone to have a noisy but Andrew's flat was fantastic to crash in for the day. I had a really hot bath for about 1 and a half hours, a nap, drank lots of coffee and ate him out of house and home (I hope my appetite will decrease soon as I will balloon when I stop cycling if I am not careful - my GPS tracker says I use 8000 calories on a normal day with all the weight I am carrying on the bike, the distances and the altitudes etc).



I planned to update my blog but by the time I had replied to emails to friends and organised what I am doing over the next couple of weeks the day had disappeared and Andrew was home. I had such a lovely day going no where. I felt different relaxing there than I did in most other peoples homes that I have met from Couch Surfing or Warm Showers. Even though people from these organisations are hosting because they want to I always felt indebted to them and felt like I was putting them out. I did not totally relax in their homes (even when they were out) because I worried. Andrew has been inviting me for ages and I really felt like he wanted me there. He already knew what I am like before inviting me.


His flat is cool. It is such a geeky scientist batular pad with everything you could possibly want. A projector, surround sound, sci-fi movies, computers and gadgets as well as a huge bath, a coffee machine and a very comfy sofa bed. I'm also a geek at heart and love that kind of stuff. I could have quiet happily spent a week there and not done much but want to get back to see my friends and family now...


I think I have gone back to the 1990's!


We went out to meet a group of his friends and then for an Italian. There was an interesting mix of people from different countries. Rocket Scientists, Lawyers, Physicists and a teacher (I think). I treated myself to a steak and really enjoyed it even though it was not a great steak.


We had a walk around the town. It is very pretty. The Lion is the Symbol of Leiden.


We were chatting till late. Andrew showed me loads of photos he had take of Iceland. I want to go there now. A lovely relaxed day.


1 comment:

  1. Emily!!! Alex Rambo connects with you and asks you, when you go back to the Unreal world? I know that your brave heart is beating everytime, everywhere under the sky.
    I am in Moscow. Training day by day and very soon I will be ready for going across all borders in the world! I want to crush all Metal cages all wood brains..
    Rambo turist really respects you because you can find the best road everywhere. Rambo soldier respects you because you can crush all stereotypes. Rambo man is delighted with you.

    We will meet in crossroad of our paths somewhere in the world and then... be ready for playing "Brothers in arms" 4 days ago I took part in rally against Putin and corruptions power. I gather the people who protested against dictation..
    Aleksander05@list.ru Po

    ReplyDelete