The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Sunday 2 October 2011

30th Sept - Polish Forest to German Forest

Another day of not talking to anyone that speaks English (and only people in shops) and sleeping in a forest but tonight I am sleeping in a different country than yesterday. I arrived in Germany!
Woke up naturally with the light just past 7 and packed up and was on the road for 8.30.


Another lovely sunny day and flat good roads passing through forests. The first half of the day was on a busy main road but then I turned off towards the German Border and the road had very little traffic and just biked through forest after forest. It was a lovely ride. I really felt like I could stretch my legs for once as the road was good quality and there was very little wind! I was rocketing along at and average of 27km which is not too bad with 45kg of bike and stuff.


In the middle of the day I stopped off at a restaurant and spent some time on the internet again for a couple of hours. I did not manage to catch up much on my blog as I was sending out couch requests etc. It is getting very tedious to spend so long doing such things but I would like company as I pass through Europe. Staying in expensive hotels is boring. I like meeting new people and so it is worth spending the time.


It was hot today! This sign shows 27.9C! I loved it...


There were loads of people selling mushrooms from the side of the road through the forests. They pick them in the woods and then sell them. It is the same in Siberia and the Baltics.


I got to the German Border at about 6 and crossed over to find a place to sleep for the night. I could have stayed on the Polish side but I had set myself a goal of getting to Germany today. It feels much closer to home!

I had to bike a reasonable distance until I found a suitable place towards the edge of a park along the side of a river. A good place but I got bitten alive by mosquitoes.


Forests really are very noisy places. Leaves fall and animals potter about and if you are paranoid you can get very worried that someone is coming.... I am glad that I have not been watching any horrors or thrillers recently. I do manage to get to sleep reasonably easily. The places I choose to sleep are very much set back from the road and once it is dark no one can see me. I was using my laptop when I heard some people chatting and walking along a path which was only 50m from my tent. I was worried about the light and so stopped and gave up and instead just sat and looked at the stars and thought about life the universe and everything and once again had an early night. There's not much else you can do with out light in a dark forest at night!


No comments:

Post a Comment