The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Friday 30 September 2011

29th Sept - Forest to another Forest

Up early as I had an early night last night. I had porridge for breakfast and some fruit, packed up all of my things and was on the road for about 8. Again a lovely sunny day. I made great time in the morning and did about 75km before lunch. I then stopped of at a lovely Italian restaurant on the side of the road and found it very difficult to leave.... They had a great fast wi-fi connection and lovely food and comfortable seats. I knew that I would be another night in a forest as I had no where to stay with couch surfing and it was too nice to just relax and chat on skype, email friends and family, send couch surfing requests and catch up on my blog. I did not manage to get myself back on to my bike until 3.30-4.


I love the fact that all regions have their own shields.


I then had a real push to get some km under my belt before it got dark. I hate the fact that it is not possible to cycle till 9 or 10 anymore! The sunsets at 6.30 this time of year in Poland. It is very frustrating as it means that I have to stop biking because of the light rather than because my body wants too. Today I felt really strong and could have continued for many more hours but as I was passing a huge forest at about 6.30 I thought it would be sensible to stop and get a good place to put up my tent while I could still see.

I found a huge forest to camp in and walked a long way in to the trees so that I would be sure that no one would be able to see the light from my laptop and I felt much happier and safer than the previous nights.


I am getting really efficient at putting my tent up and I have a routine for where I keep everything and what is the best order to do it all. It takes me a relaxed 10 minutes to get the tent up and my bags inside but then the other faffing like making a cup of tea, getting my gadgets charging, cooking something to eat and getting changed and making sure that certain things are handy at the front of my tent (like pepper spray, toilet paper, a knife, ipod and head torch) all takes more time. It is about 30mins of faffing without hurrying too much.


I am quite happy on days like today. I listen to audio books, radio 4 podcasts and chat with friends on skype for short times and so I do have some interaction and things to think about but I am looking forward to spending more time with friends in the UK now. I have not spoken to anyone today (other than skype calls) as there was no one available on Couch Surfing or Warm Showers in this area and none of the people in the restaurant where I stopped could speak English. It was OK in China as I expected not to be able to speak to anyone but now that I am so close to home I want some company!

No comments:

Post a Comment