The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Saturday 3 September 2011

2nd Sept - Train Across Siberia

Woke up with the daylight and could not get back to sleep again on the busy train and so decided to get up and faff with my spreadsheet about my travels. I am such a sad git. I spent several hours changing it all so that it used the properly range definitions rather than the number of the cells and would update automatically. Even when traveling I have to organise and do it all in the right way!

I do not understand people that are on a 2 day train journey that do not do anything during that time. People that travel on their own and just sit there, no even looking out of the window, not talking to other people, not reading a book, not faffing on their phone. I just don't get it. I don't have enough time to read all the books I want to read or to keep up with my diary or to read interesting journals. I wish that I could use some of the time wasted by other people just doing nothing!


While I was waiting for my laptop to charge (in the conductors cabin - for a small bribe), I finished the most boring book in the world were nothing happened only very floral English prose. I had bought the book in India and decided to finish it once I had got half way through. It was obviously not very interesting as I normally finish a book in a few days but this one had been at the bottom of my bag for months (I was using it as emergency toilet paper and for lighting fires once I had finished reading the pages). I thought that something MUST happen at some point in the book otherwise why even bother writing it? But no... Th author waffled and a couple of people died. It was writen by an Indian man in very good English but it was the only book where I had to actually keep notes of who all the characters were as he introduced 60 different names within less pages. I had no idea who would be important for the rest of the story and who were just names.



The people on the train with me were generally pretty friendly but no-one spoke English. I was glad of some time to faff with my blog entries and GPS tracks. You can not sit up on the upper bunks and so those on the lower bunks have to let those on the upper bunks sit on their beds. People are quiet polite about this and the toilets were kept very clean and no one dropped litter etc. Much nicer than your average train in the UK.


It is very strange being on a train for such a long time. It was very hot and stuffy most of the time. At major stations the train stops for about 30 minutes and everyone gets off for some fresh air and to allow time for the other passengers to get on. There are people selling food and drink on the platform - it is expensive though. The train stopped at a major station maybe every 4 hours.


The scenery was actually very boring! It did not change much for the whole journey. It was the right decision to go this section by train rather than cycling. I am not sure why so many people want to do the Trans-Siberian train way journey as it is just many days suck on a train through dull countryside....

I went to sleep when it got dark with no idea what the time actually was. As my bed was right next to the door to the smoking room, I did not get a very good sleep as the door slamming kept on shaking my bed and jolting me awake! Arrggg....



No comments:

Post a Comment