The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Tuesday 27 September 2011

26th Sept - Nowe Miasto Lubawskie to Torun

A lovely day - sunny and warm with some great company.




I had a chilled morning at Marta's house. She cooked eggs and Polish sausage for breakfast and I spend ages sending messages to Couch Surfers and Warm Showers host to try and arrange accommodation for the next few days. I did not have to worry about this evening as Marta's family had phoned her cousin Peter last night and arrange for me to stay with him and his wife Carline this evening. :-)


As I did not have very far to go I used the internet and enjoyed some time inside and then set off with Marta about midday. She said that she would join me for the first part of the journey. Marta took me on a tour around her small market town. I found it very similar to any small market town in the UK!


We decided to leave town and go West on a quiet road rather than South West on the main road as it would be much nicer to bike and chat along the way. It was a good decision but it was a longer route for me and more challenging to find the right road on the tiny lanes.


Marta joined me to the top of the hill out of town and then headed back. It was a lovely sunny day and I once again enjoyed biking just in shorts and t-shirt! The little lanes and villages where really similar to English countryside. There was even a Tesco's store on the way. I must be nearly home now!


I wonder what type of accident happened to get this car up there?! Polish drivers ;-)


Poland is more forested than the UK.


There is corn growing everywhere.


There are huge nests on top of many electricity pylons. You don't see this so much in England. I am not sure what type of birds make them....


The countryside route was much longer than I thought it would be. The main road way was only 85km but I ended up doing 115km and cycling in the dark across Torun. It was frustrating as there was loads of road works and I could not see properly.


I cycled past Torun Old Town on the way to Peter and Katherine's. It was very pretty and I decided that I should definitely take the time to have a look around tomorrow morning. There is a wall and a castle and loads of old buildings.


Peter met me at the other side of the bridge and walked me back to his house where I was made very welcome. I had a quick shower and then found that Katherine had made home made Italian for diner. Lovely. I was really hungry and ate loads of the very tasty meal.


Peter is an editor at the town News Paper and Katherine is a Lawyer. Their favorite country is Italy. I tried some of the mango liqueur that they brought back from their trip a couple of months ago. It was gorgeous!

More details on Rabbits and Speedway to follow..........


4 comments:

  1. We are so happy that you're having a good time in ToruĊ„! It was a great relief to find out that you're not sleeping in your tent yet :) Hugs!
    Marta with Mum and Dad and Sis and Bro and Lucy and Tham :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the lovely comment! It was a tent in a forest again last night :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great picture from our room and kitchen. Good luck for the rest of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emily, those birds are storks: www.tinyurl.com/storks01
    and Poland hosts the biggest number of storks in the world.
    Regards

    ReplyDelete