The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Friday 23 September 2011

21st Sept - Kaunas

I did not feel great when I woke up about 9 and so had some breakfast and a bath and then went back to bed for an hour - but then woke up at 12.30! I obviously needed to catch up on some sleep :-)

I felt like a different person. Loads of energy and in a great mood. Geidrius arrived just after I woke up and we chatted for a while. He told me all about the town and gave me a map etc. He has had over 300 people stay with him and so was very professional in terms of the information he had available for his guests. He said that there was another cyclist CS staying this evening and that if I wanted I could go to a CS meeting in town in the afternoon on and/or go to a modern dance concert (that Geidrius was volunteering at) in the evening. I had planned on getting going again on my bike today but it seemed like a good idea to just relax for the day and see the town and some of the culture.

I had a chilled afternoon and went for a slow jog around the town and bought some food and a ticket for the modern dance performance that evening. When I returned Hiroshi(a cyclist from Japan) just arrived and so we had dinner together and I rushed out to the performance.


I needn't have rushed as although the tickets said 7 the performance did not actually start until 7.30. Everyone was milling around chatting with there friends etc before the performance. I don't usually mind being on my own but I don't like it at concerts etc. Just standing on your own in a room full of people chatting to each other can be rubbish! I just did not know where to stand or where to look.


I saw the first black guys that I have seen in the Baltics! They were apparently performing tomorrow. It was also interesting to note that where as in the UK most people would have been standing with a drink and have maybe taken the drink into the performance with them, no one here had a drink. It was the same at the Choir concert in Latvia. Interesting small differences.


The event was the first evening in the international dance festival being held in Kaunas. I was rather disappointed with the performance to be honest. It was boring and some of the timing of the moves with the music was drastically off. I like dance and I have enjoyed other modern dance performances in the past but this one was just trying to hard to be artsy and futuristic. I decided half way though that life is too short to be bored to tears and that I would rather be chatting with Hiroshi and so I sneeked out.


I bought a bottle of wine on the way back from the performance. I thought it would be nice to chat to Hiroshiand have a belated celebration drink for my birthday. We chatted away for and hour or so when Geidrius turned up with another Couch Surfer, Martu from Estonia- (sorry if that is the wrong spelling). She was hitching to Spain.


We had a lovely evening nattering until well past 1. It was interesting to chat to other cyclists and people with similar interests. All lovely people. A good chilled day - needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment