The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Monday 3 October 2011

3rd Oct - Berlin to Rathenow

Woke up with the sunrise at about 7 and pottered for a while and then had a lovely relaxed breakfast with the family. I have enjoyed staying this them very much, the only problem was that it made me feel very broody and think a lot about the future and what I will do with the rest of my life now that this trip is nearly over....

The house boat is very cosy and I really respect their goal of sustainable living. Not only is the boat all made of sustainable products but they also live that way every day even when it is more hard work. They could very easily throw the water that is left after a shower into the river as it will make very little impact in comparison to the other boats that directly pump their sewage into the water, but they choose not to. Good for them.

Henning helped tune Xena (my bike) even more (we spent a ahour or so doing it last night as well) and we gave her a clean with the power hose and an oil. She was very happy about it and has not run so smoothly in months :) Thanks Henning. I did not have the confidence to play round with the gears so much on my own.

I set off about 10.30 and found it very easy to get through Berlin as I took the same route as yesterday. The streets were very crowded as it is a public holiday in Germany today. The road that I was going to take West out of the center was closed to cars and instead there was a big street party and loads of stalls. I had a little look and then rode through the park instead.

It took a while to cross Berlin but it was a good way to see the City and it was all good quality on bike paths. I then took a longer route through the countryside to avoid cycling on the busy roads.

I was making great time until I got a puncture. I think it is only my 4th of the whole trip. I had a problem with the values of my inner tubes snapping off in India but they were not real punctures so don't count.

It was a really easy 97km today. Sunny day, bike paths or small country roads, flat, very little wind and lovely countryside. Germany really is very similar to the UK and so in some ways slightly boring to cycle through after seeing such different countries and cultures over the last year. It is easy travelling here. Many people speak English, there is familliar food everywhere, many people couch surf and I don´t feel unsafe camping in forests at night.

One think Germany seems to be done far better than the UK is sustainable development. There are fields and fields of Wind Turrbines and great cycle paths. I have never seen Wind Turrbines so close up before and I did not realise that the have little doors on the side of them to get access. They are really quite wide at the bottom. I have now decided that I have a new goal in life... to live in a Wind Turbine! It would be great. I wonder if Ikea does a range of circular furniture?

I arrived at my Couch Surfers flat at 6. A really nice flat over looking the river. Good to have a shower and a nice place to stay rather than a forest tonight.

Photos and more details to follow.....

No comments:

Post a Comment