The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Saturday 15 October 2011

13th Oct - European Space Agency and Party with Rocket Scientists

This trip really has been full of variety! A few days ago I was at a Trade Fair for Erotic Products and today I had lunch and a wonder round the European Space Agency, went to a wine tasting followed by a Party with Rocket Scientists.



I woke up when Andrew was getting ready for work. I was still quiet tired as we had been up chatting till gone 2 and woke up about 7.30. When he had left I tried to get back to sleep again but failed. I was thinking about life the universe and everything at the end of this trip. What to do with the rest of my life?!

I tried to book my ferry to the UK for tomorrow but my bank once again stopped my card. Organising money and phoning banks and phone companies during this last year has been the bane of my life!


Maria and Elise picked me up at 12 to bike for lunch to the European Space Agency. Elise used to work there and Maria's bloke, Chris, works there. It was very nice of them to invite me to go along with them. The weather was sunny and warm in dramatic contrast to yesterday. We had a great ride to - with the sisters keeping me entertained with their "discussions" on the best route to take at every junction.


Martin met us to make sure we could get passes and then we all went in. It is a very impressive building - but looks slightly like the Lego you get when you are a kid! Very bright primary colours. It is like the scientists did not quiet get over the stage in development from being kids where they played with bottles of fairy liquid and elastic bands to try and launch them - bless :-)

The place has about 3000 scientists and the restaurant does not run for profit and so is very reasonable. Most people seem to have 3 course lunches followed by coffee.


I loved the geeky shop in the middle of the centre. This earth is held in the air by magnets.


I managed to find my way back a totally different way than on the way there. It was funny to see signs for Leiden 5km away and then to bike 100m in that direction and then the next sign for 9km to Leiden. I think my route was a rather indirect route.


I went out for a run around the city in the afternoon and then popped into a wine shop to buy a pressy for Andrew. I found out that they were having a free wine tasting this evening. I thought about asking Andrew if he fancied going along early evening.


Andrew got back about 7 and we got tarted up and then off we went.


We had a fab (if rather drunken) time at the wine tasting. There was 25 wines and 4 cheeses with bread.


It was great that the 2 wines I had bought him eariler that evening were 2 of his favourites and Andrew ended up buying a box of each plus a box of white.


What can I stay?


We wondered off to the party latish. It was a great party and lovely to meet loads of Andrew's friends. Nice to be back in the company of geeks! I felt right at home... :-)


Leiden is very beautifully lit up at night. It has lovely architecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment