The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Saturday 30 April 2011

27th April - Kathmandu Jungle Day

Another breakfast for several hours. The buffet is awesome and having many courses and about 10 cups of coffee over several hours seems very decadent after getting up every morning and getting on my bike pretty much straight away for the last couple of months. I am enjoying relaxing and being in one place.

The weather was lovely first thing with sunshine and blue skies but then turned to thunderstorms again in the afternoon. It is lovely to be staying out of central Kathmandu in a relaxed jungle area for a few days. I wanted to go and explore the area and so set off for a run on the forest trails. Unfortunately just as I was leaving I was told by the hotel staff that it was not safe to go running on my own in the jungle (now that I am writing this entry after being trekking in the jungle in the Himalayas, I know that this is rubbish - the animals are not a problem but I could have got lost). The hotel says that to go walking on the trails guests have to go with a guide for 350RS (about £2.50) and that the guide would not be able to run with me. Therefore I had to chose another route. `

I decided to run along an off road track to another other hotel a few km down the road and then back up the hill. I still had too much energy when I got back and so did some hill sprints up and down to the golf course and back up to the hotel. The views with the mountains behind were beautiful. It was a lovely way to explore the grounds and push other muscles than my biking ones. The grounds really make this hotel. The setting is great and the hotel is very lovely. I really was such a shame that the inside pool was shut for the visit.

After the run I still needed some exercise and so walked with Johnnie down to another hotel to use their huge pool (arranged by our hotel as ours was shut). It is outside and was absolutely freezing. I only managed 12 lengths before my leg muscles started to cramp with the cold. It is very much colder in Kathmandu than in India. I can still walk around in shorts and a t-shirt though.

It was a lovely sunset but as I was running and swimming when it happened I did not get any photos. We had a meal at the hotel for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment