The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Saturday 26 February 2011

23rd Feb - Bike to Ooty and Gudalur

View India To 23rd Feb 2011 in a larger map


I was up early and wanted to get out and get some exercise today and explore the surrounding area. I decided to bike to Gudalur but then the plans changed when it turned out that Johnie's phone had been disconnected and he needed to pay it in Ooty. I decided to head there again and then on a circuit round from Ooty to Gudalur to meet up this Johnie and the kids later in the day.

By the time I had got my stuff together and got on the bike it was 1. I knew that this time I would have to bike a lot faster up the pass than I had done last time in order to get the bill paid before the office shut and then get back in the day light. The ride was much easier than the first time because I was not stopping to take photos all the time and chat with people. I really enjoyed the ride.

I paid the bill and then headed to Gudalur. It was a great ride but based on what I had heard about the route I was expecting to drop altitude slowly once on the Gudalur road. Instead for the next 30km it was rolling at 2300m. It made my progress much slower than I had expected. It meant that it was dusk when I reached the top of the drop to Gudalur. I decided to be sensible and not to bike down a very steep pass at dusk. It was a shame as I was told that the views are amazing. I waited at a little tea stall and Johnie very kindly came to pick me up. He drove me back and we met Susie and the kids at a little village (where Johnie had left them after they had visited the elephants).

Neither Johnie nor I were in the mood for cooking tonight and so we decided to eat at a restaurant in the village. We had a great meal. I enjoyed some Indian meat meals as we had been eating vegetarian for the last few days with Susie and the kids.

We did leave the restaurant until 9ish. It could have been a problem as the government has started closing the roads between 10pm and 6am to stop the traffic killing wildlife. According to Johnie the local Indian Government seem to think that this will help protect the tigers even there has not been a single incidence of a car hitting a tiger. He is not very impressed with the various methods used by the government to protect the wildlife. On this occasion they had shut the road early at 9 and would not let us pass for a while until Johnie showed the guard proof of address.

I really enjoyed the bike ride today. It was great to explore new areas and get some exercise and some time to myself. I need to get back on with my journey very soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment