The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Sunday 13 February 2011

15th Feb - Mysore


View India To 23rd Feb 2011 in a larger map

Some how or other we decided that we could not leave Mysore today without seeing more and so we decided to stay another day. Johnie and I were up early and went for a huge breakfast at the Hotel Restaurant. It was great to try loads of different Indian dishes for breakfast. Miranda joined us for brunch (even though we had got too hungry earlier on and gone for breakfast at the hotel restaurant). We wanted to stay another night at the same hotel but unfortunately it was fully booked. Johnie suggested we stay at the Palace instead! He seems to find budget traveling amusing and thinks that me an Miranda should do India in style instead. I was not objecting. Me am Miranda are trying to persuade him to travel on a budget of 1000RS per day - just for the alternative India experience! I wonder whether he ever will.

Miranda and I went for a swim in the pool for about 1 hour. I did not have my swimming costume with me and so I tried to buy one from the hotel. A guy popped round to the room with full head to toe costumes that had a little tutu in the middle. I wish now that I had taken a photo - they were fantastic. The guy could not understand why Miranda and I were in fits of giggles....

I ended up swimming in my clothes and then drying them off later by lying in the sun. It was great fun as there were loads of buoyancy aids in the water and balls etc. We turned into big kids and played while Johnie had a nap.


After the swim we went to check out the place where we are staying tonight - a MASSIVE palace! Although the rooms themselves are not great the Palace was amazing .... It is real old school colonial India. Apparently the service is really bad and the hotel itself is quiet but IT IS A PALACE! It costs about the same amount to stay there as it did to stay in the modern Windflower last night but the difference in the quality of the room is huge. For the same price in the Windflower, the accommodation comprised of a suite with a living room, a dining area and bar, 2 bathrooms, a private small pool and a huge bedroom -all immaculately decorated. In comparison the room in the Palace was just a nice standard room (with a balcony over looking the gardens and pool area). It was great to be able to experience the 2 different sides to high end accommodation in India.

The Palace was like stepping into a time machine. I loved all the doilies and lace covering everything. They even had patterned/floral wall paper covering the fan at reception - presumably to make it look more "posh"?! There are stuffed dead creatures all over the walls and the staff are dressed in clothing from the nineteenth century. There is a horse draw cart that you can take a ride in round the grounds. It is of course falling to pieces and the paint is pealing off - but that kinda fits with the rest of the hotel.

We all went into Mysore to do some shopping. I was feeling a little grotty still wearing the clothes from yesterday and I wanted some more elegant clothes to go out in around Mysore rather than my very practical hiking trousers and merino wool top. Johnie took us to Fab India where I think I tried on half of the shop and did not find anything that I really liked other than a skirt. I ended up buying some jeans and a western top from the shop just round the corner. It was the first time I had worn jeans since I left the UK! It was great to have some other clothes to wear out around the city. Wealthy Indian women in cities do wear jeans and long tops and I felt more comfortable in my surroundings with my new clothes.

The modern high end stores are very different to stores in the UK. I spent ages trying to find a birthday card for my sister as I had not managed to find one anywhere else in other towns. I love some of the designs on the t-shirts - this one says "SPUNK". Most of the t-shirts are absolutely gopping. It seems that the more writing and colours there are on the t-shirts the better value for money. Men seem to be far more bothered about looking Western than women. There are a huge number of knock-off t-shirts available.

It took far longer than we all wanted to do some shopping. We went for a little tour of Mysore and then back to the Palace for Afternoon Tea. How every civilised. I had to have tea (as well as coffee) because it is Afternoon TEA after all. I had a massive "Royal" toasted sandwich...




We had a little nap after afternoon tea - it had been a tough day lounging by the pool and shopping....
Afterward we went for a wonder round the Hotel and grounds. We decided not to eat in the huge restaurant with only 2 tables full. The Hotel was very quiet. The bar was shut. I am not sure how they expect to encourage new guests without some sort of atmosphere. They are probably running at a significant loss. It was still very cool to stay in a Palace!



We ordered room service and were sent up burnt Porottas. We sent them back and asked for ones not cooked. 30 mins later some new Porottas arrived and they were more burnt than the previous ones..... The service and quality of food in India is inversely proportional to the price you pay!








A great day exploring the city and experiencing the other side to Indian culture :-)....

2 comments:

  1. How beautiful, I am enjoying the journey with you and you describe things so well that I can at times almost imagine myself part of it all. collette

    ReplyDelete