The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Monday 7 February 2011

9th Feb - Chilled Day in the Jungle

We did not leave the property all day. It was really lovely to have some down time and not go anywhere.
Got up at 8.30 and really did not fancy doing anything all morning - just chatted with Grace and Denis. Johnie made us all pain au chocolat for breakfast and we drank large numbers of cups of proper good coffee.

I thought I really should make use of the wireless internet connection and other facilities while I am here to :
catch up with my blog, organise my photo, process my GPS tracks for my journey so far, investigate how I am going to get through Tibet and into China without it costing me an absolute fortune, complete the paper work for my Chinese visa application, look into what to do regarding my house sale in the UK, order some tyres and other components for my bike to be delivered to India, get some antibiotics and anti malarial tablets, go to the dentist.

However, although I was very much aware that I need to do all of these things sometimes it is great to just have a down day and achieve nothing - no sight seeing, no biking, no exercise, no blogging, no paper work etc Today was one of those days.... Johnie had said that he would be going with Miranda to Mysore in 2 days anyway and said that I could stay here on my own. I thought it would be a better idea to do the paper work things I need to do when I am on my own and to spend the next few days seeing the area and getting to know Johnie and Miranda.

Grace and Denis left at midday. Johnie gave them a lift down to Masinagudi so that they could catch the bus and continue on their journey. The are really friendly bubbly people and I would have liked to get to know them more. It was funny to hear their stories about couch surfing with Johnie. Apparently most people come here to spent 2 nights and end up staying 1 week. I can understand why. It is absolutely beautiful and very relaxed. During the first few days people ask Johnie if "he" has such and such, by the end of the stay it turns into do "we" have such and such.....

We had amazing filet steak for dinner for the second day running..... Rare! Sooooo tasty :-)

It turns out that Johnie is a legendary couch surfing host. As there are not many westerners here in the jungle couch surfing has become a way for him to get to know people and make new friends etc. He was supposed to be living here with his wife - enjoying the good life - but unfortunately their marriage broke down and so he is now here on his own. He has hosted about 100 people over the last year.

It is cold here at night in comparison to Kerala - but there are hardly any mosquitoes. I could just sit for hours watching the birds and animals in the garden......


No comments:

Post a Comment