The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Sunday 30 January 2011

17th Jan - Katikati Jet-Skiing

It was a beautiful sunny morning and the forecast for later on in the day and tomorrow is bad and so I really should have gone exploring and running but I just felt like some down time instead. I have been doing loads and fitting in loads and I needed some down time and to do some paper work for the next part of the trip as well as catching up on my blog and trying to get my gps tracker maps on my blog. However I did spend most of the morning sleeping while Neil was at work :-)

Neil got back at lunch time and he made some great sandwiches. He then put his jet ski on the back of his tractor and took it down to the harbor. is a great thing about NZ that people do not throw away things that are perfectly functioning (like cars and kitchens). Neil's tractor looked like it was about 50 years old. I was amazed that it actually went anywhere - it looked like a painted model. The stop bottom does not work and so Neil just uses the end of the metal wire to spark it. The petrol is just strapped to the top with a bungy cord. Soooo cute.

I was not too bothered about going really fast on the Jet Ski as I was enjoying seeing the bay and taking in the scenery. Neil drove to begin with and we went all the way round the inside of the bay chasing birds :-) He went quite fast and did fast turns to show me what it could do.

I then took over the controls and we went out to sea so that we could see the islands in the distance and all along the coast in both directions. I enjoyed going over the waves to get out to sea - it was choppy but not too much to be scared on the the Jet Boat. I was only going slowly to take in the scenery but at the end of the trip I put the throttle down and managed to go an amazing 43km per hour!!! Living life on the edge....

It is a very beautiful bay. Neil has a book written by a lady 130 years ago dairying her life when she arrived in New Zealand from the UK. She was based in the Katikati area. I had started reading the book and it was fascinating to see the bay in the context of how it has changed over those 130 years. When she arrived it was all bush land and very difficult to live. Now it is mainly farmland and planted pine forests. The area is volcanic and there are many islands off the coast which are volcanoes.

When we got back we had a chilled afternoon. I wrote my blog and faffed with my GPS tracker. We then had a huge meal of the mince left over from yesterday and loads of fresh veg. I have been eating very well in the North Island - too well. I need to get skinny again now.
Neil is great company and we had a good old natter about life the universe and everything.

I have been really lucky over the last few days meeting people that all have different hobbies most of which I have never tried before and I have managed to have a go without eating into my budget: Jet Skiing, Clay Pigeon Shooting, Biscuiting, Hot Pools, Quad Biking and Flying a Small Plane. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment