The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Sunday 30 January 2011

15th Jan - Rotorau and Bike Make-Over

Up about 7.30 to have breakfast with the Germans and Byrdie. It was really lovely to chat with the Germans as it is rare to meet people that have toured for that long. The Germans headed off early to go towards the Corromandel and Brydie headed off to go mountain biking with her friend Jylie. Could not go as I needed to sort out my bike in town.

I decided to get a front pannier rack fitted in NZ. I tried to find a rack that would fit my suspension forks in the UK but I did not succeed. As I could fit all of my kit into the back panniers and also wanted to save money on the cost of the bags and rack I was not too worried about it. However, in NZ it seems to be standard that front racks fit suspension forks and so it seemed sensible to get one. I will need the extra space in India and definitely in Mongolia to carry huge food and water supplies over large distances.... Fortunately, Brian (where I stayed the night before last) had phoned a shop called Bike Fix yesterday and found that they had a front rack in store and could fit it for me today :-)

I rode into Rotorau (about 10km) to drop off my bike at Bike Fix. They said that they would look for the cause of the clicking sound, fit a front pannier rack which works with front forks and also look at my gears while I went for a wonder round town.

The smell of sulphur round town was really strong. Rotorau is well known for its hot springs and geothermal activity. There is steam coming up out of the ground at various spots, boiling mud and geysers. I took the walk around the lake which passes loads of these "sites of interest" for tourists. The lake is huge an was apparently formed from a crater. I find it so strange that people live in an area that just feels like it is about to explode! There are many things to do as a tourist visiting the town: the museum, hots springs and bathing places galore and Maori cultural centers. I had a good wonder round for a couple of hours.

I was surprised at how big both Rotorau and Taupo are because I was used to the size of the towns in the South Island. The North Island is much more populated and less touristy as well. The ratio of tourists to locals in the South Island felt like about 1:1 - not sure whether that is right at all. There were so many camper vans on the South Island that it probably effected my judgment....

Rotorau town had a very large number of shops that I could spend lots of money in: bike shops, outdoor shops, coffee shops and lovely restaurants. There are so many bike shops in town it was amazing - about 8 in a small town. The area is really well known for the mountain bike tracks through the forests. I decided to treat myself and have a small dish of sushi. I popped into the large supermarket to get some food for the meal tonight and also some cookies for the guys that are working on my bike.

I got back to the shop about 1 just to find it closing.... I had not realised that shops shut on sat at midday in town. The guys had not manged to do the work on my bike to change the chain or get to the bottom of the clicking sound. They very kindly said that they would stay on even though they were closed and do the work for me. Steve said that he thought that if they just changed the chain that the gears would slip and not last me for the next few months through India, Nepal and China before I could get it all replaced again. He suggested replacing the whole gear set. ARRGGG BUDGET! Oh well.... at least it will be ok for the next leg of the journey.

It took about 1 hour for Marty to do the work and I enjoyed nattering (ok bantering) with them. The guys were very generous and gave me a discount on the work and also changed the set up of my magnetic bike lights so that they are fitted to the pannier racks rather than the wheels. It was a much better way of setting up the bike. They also put on bar ends and generally improved the way the bike ran. With the front pannier rack fitted and everything all tuned and fitted properly it really felt like a touring bike for the first time!

I would very much recommend Bike Fix. They are very good mechanics and friendly people:

http://www.bikefix.co.nz/

When they had replaced all of the parts I then took it out of the shop loaded with all of my panniers and I still had the clicking noise!! Arrrggggg. Now that everything had been replaced and everything tightened up the only thing left could be the spokes on the back wheel. That was exactly what it sounded like to me in the first place several months ago. Everyone that I had spoken to (bike shops and other bike experts) said that the tension was right on the back spokes and that I should not tighten them too much as it means that they are more likely to snap if they are too tight. I am sooooo glad that the noise has now been found as I can stop worrying about it now (and it is less frustrating when riding).

I went round the bike shops to see if I could get some front panniers for a reasonable price. As the town generally caters for mountain bikers there was not much choice but I did manage to get some in a sale. They are Vaude non-waterproof ones. Light weight and smallish. I also got a uv water sterilization pen for use when I can't get bottled water in 3rd world countries.

I have spent far too much money today! My budget is screwed...... Oh well at least I will have clean drinking water and be able to carry enough food and drinking water in funky countries. My gears are changing very nicely now and the bike is balanced.

When I got back to Brydie's I was very happy to sit and natter over coffee and cookies for a while and then Brydie took me for a mountain bike ride along some of the forest tracks just to give me a short sample of how good they are. Many of the guys in the various bike shops I had visited today said that I must see them before I left town. They were right - they are awesome. There are hundreds of Km of trails ranging from beginner to expert. The trails go in a particular direction to cut down on accidents etc. We went on an easy trail. I was glad as I only have road tyres at the moment and my bike is set up for touring - in addition to the fact that I am a big wimp off road :-)

Brydie took me to a spot where I could see the geyser from a distance. You have to pay loads of money to get in to the Morui center to see the water but instead can see it from a distance from the mountain bike trail. It was cool.

James (Byrdie's ex) came round about 7ish to join us for dinner. He is a very energetic bubbly person and the banter between Brydie and him was great to watch. Brydie cooked awesome homemade pizza and I ate too much but it was really good. James challenged me to a game of squash tomorrow morning. Great. I miss the game and have not played since I left the UK.
James had challenged me to the game during some general banter and I had agreed. He then started saying that he had only been playing for 6 month and that he played with a blue spot ball. A that point I thought that I would probably beat him quite easily. He said that he would bring along his flat mate who was a better player and we could all have a go. The challenge from James changed from "bet I will beat you at squash" to "bet my flatmate will beat you at squash" - quite a different thing :-)

Stayed up late on the internet emailing friends and family and writing blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment