The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Friday 7 January 2011

27th Dec - Caples Track and Queenstown

Up at 6.30. The weather was not too bad (but it had been through the night). We got going quite quickly and did the 20km walk back on the Caples track. It is a lovely valley walk along the river and through the forest. It mainly stayed dry and the low lying clouds made it very beautiful and eerie.

I am very glad that I met Christoph. He has the same level of fitness and pace when walking and is fun company. I would not have gone off and done that walk on my own as it would not have been safe to do so. It was probably the roughest walk I have done in 25 hours.

The main thing that I had been worried about on the walk was that the Jenkins might be worried about me as I did not get back last night. Once I called them from the Hostel down the road from the car park I relaxed and we had a coffee at the cafe and a chilled drive into Queenstown. By the time we got to Queenstown the weather had really turned and it was raining heavily. We went food shopping for the next few days and Christoph bought some new trousers and a camping stove and we had a wonder round the town.

We then went back to Arrowtown and had showers and some turkey soup :-) Christoph then headed off and I stayed with the family and organised the Christmas Photos and packed up my stuff. We had a great salmon diner and I ate too much Christmas Cake. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment