The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Sunday 22 May 2011

15th May - Chumle to Bamboo

Such an awesome day trekking!

This is the altitude profile :-)


This was the lodge first thing in the morning.


Getting an early start in Nepal is definitely the most sensible thing to do. It is want all of the locals do too. It just seems right to be to be awake for all of the day light hours in a day and then sleep when it is dark. It is just difficult to get my head round the idea of going to bed at 8.30 and getting up at 4. I think they should just change what they call the different times so that tourists don't have such emotional turmoil about it :-) It they just said that 4 was in fact 6 or 7 then everything would be good.....

It is especially true this time of year where the mornings are normally sunny and clear and then the storms arrive somewhere between 2 and 4.


We were up at about 4.30 and having breakfast at 5ish. It was very light by then but the sun did not rise above the mountains until we were just leaving at 6. We watched as the locals got their donkeys ready to carry the days loads.


Lots of swing bridges.



This vulture was huge - at least 1m high! I regretted not bringing my other lens!


There so many trees in blossom at this time of year. The views are just amazing.


The Nepalese flag flies everywhere.


Very friendly as well as cute!


These photos do just not do justice to how beautiful these mountains are.


Much of the paths are well laid and very easy to walk.


Quite a walk to school!


This was the view where we stopped for a cuppa and some apple pie! I love trekking in Nepal - it is awesome :-)

I love hiking but I don't enjoy the danger and the hardship of the activity. I would much rather be able to get good food and drinks along the way with warm accommodation than have to carry everything with me and put up a tent every night. Trekking in Nepal has the amazing views and heights and it is so easy! It does not feel dangerous at all - less so than hiking in the Scottish highlands which are much lower.

The facilities so high up on this trek were incredible. You could get pizza, cake, internet, coffee and lovely accommodation. Apparently it is much busier at other times of the year though and I am glad that I missed the hoards. The lodges become full in the peak season were as there were only a few people when I was there and so loads of choice. I think I will write another entry summarising trekking in Nepal.

We stopped at Bamboo village at about 4 - when the rains were starting to come in. I really should have turned round at this stage (as I had plenty left in my legs) and stayed at a village further South as I was leaving myself a really tough day tomorrow. I have to walk twice as far as today and then cycle back to Pokhara tomorrow in order to go white water rafting on the way back to Kathmandu to catch my flight to HK. I really wanted to spend some more time with Amy and Dylan and have another afternoon and evening of cards though and I like a challenge. The others thought that I was mad and were laughing at how far I have to go. The guide books suggest 3 days from Bamboo back..... hehe...



I had chicken sizzler as a treat and a change from the cheapest thing on the menu. It was so tasty and a real treat to be able to get this at 3000m. This dog sat by me and salivated the whole time.


We chatted with a couple of guys from Seattle that were also staying at the same lodge.

No comments:

Post a Comment