The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Tuesday 23 November 2010

11th Nov - Flight from Darwin to Alice Springs


View Australia Tracks in a larger map

Up at 7 but really tired so went back to sleep. Got up with alarm at 10 and pack all of my things so that I could take all of my heavy things as carry on baggage. I biked to the airport carrying my bike box - I looked like an idiot! I took a while as I had to hold on to bike box with one hand while steering with the other.

I took my bike to pieces and packed into the bike box one of my panniers with all of my lightweight equipment. When it was weighed it was 23kg - perfect :-) I then found out that I am on a different package than is described on the internet! 99% of Qantas customers are on the normal package and so they do not include the info for the other 1%. All that worrying about having to pay $50 per every extra kg of check in luggage and I am allow 32kg! Yippeeee.

Carrying a bike on an plane is a real faff. I need to get to the airport a couple of hours before the flight to pack everything. Oh well, only a few more flights left :-)

I arrived at Alice Springs at 4ish. There was a lady trying to promote the hostel that she works in and was offering 2 nights accommodation for the price of one and free transfer from the airport to the hostel. Rather than faffing around building the bike and then cycling the 20km into town and trying to find a place, I decided to go for it. $11 per night and transfer to the accommodation is not bad....

I rebuilt my bike and took myself off for a little ride and explore round town. Alice is pretty small and mainly full of tourists. It has a desert/outback feel to it.

I spent the evening in the McCafe as the internet is free. Ended up spending far too long there and got back to the hostel about 11.30. Should have gone earlier as tired but got engrossed in diary and photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment