The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Wednesday 10 November 2010

7th Nov - Biking to Kakadu

7th Nov - Biking from Darwin to Mary River (towards Kakadu National Park)




View Australia Tracks in a larger map

Woke up early and packed up but then waited around for a while. I could not get on the road as early as I wanted as the place that I picked up gas from did not open till 10. Left home about 9 and biked the 20km to the get the gas. i have been asking loads of people about where the stops are on the road where I can get water to ensure that I will always have enough for the journey and then some extra for emergencies. The guy in the camping store said that a German guy had been in asking for dehydrated food to take on his walk from Darwin to Alice Springs! I have no idea how he will be able to do that. I am having enough problems with water stops and I can travel up to 150km per day and carry loads of weight. It is worrying that he does not realise the distances and the lack of services etc on the way....

After stopping for gas I then started off on the main bike ride of the day....On the way out of town I saw my first Road Train. I was very excited and took pictures and a video. If only I had known that I would see loads of them through out the day.... (this photos is as the sun is setting).

Had to go part of the way on the A1 - like a UK motorway. Bikes are not permitted but there was no other road that I could use instead. I biked on the hard shoulder for about 10km and then turned of on the 39 to Kakadu.




About 40km outside of Darwin I stopped in a place call "Humpty Doo" (very cool name) to get enough water for the rest of the day (12litres) as there were no other stops on the way for at least 60km. Many of the stretches between towns/cafes/services in the Northern Territories are 80km-100km apart and so I need to be really careful out here.



The road was really lovely without too much traffic and beautiful scenery but it was hard going. I have enough food for 4-5 days (as I am camping and I am not sure what supplies there will be on the way that are cheap) and enough water for the day and so my bags are REALLY heavy. I usually do not mind the heat, sun or humidity but today after being out under a cloudless sky, with temps of low forties and 80-90% humidity for 7 hours solid, even I was very glad to arrive at the cafe in Corroboree and stop for a cold drink in the shade.

The last 10km to the cafe felt like I was biking for hours. They had put a sign up advertising the cafe 10km before the stop but they had not written on it how far away it was. Therefore I thought that it must be just round the corner, or the next corner, or just over this next hill....



After stopping in Corroboree, I then had another 27km to bike to the campsite for the night. I did 130km today - which would be nothing on my road bike carrying no weight in England but was hardwork under these conditions. Very rewarding though as the scenery was amazing. I had my cheesy tunes on for most of the day and sang along to myself. I also kept myself entertained by waving at the passing Road Trains! I got many waves and 5 honks of horns :-)





I stopped for the night at Mary River Lodge. It has a small pool, cabins, restaurant and a camping area but is very quite at this time of year as it is coming into the Wet season. Ilona on reception very kindly said that as I am trying to raise money for charity I could stay for free. Yippeee.



I am sitting writing this on the verandah of the lodge having put up my tent, cooked and eaten dinner (veg and egg), had a shower and it is only 9 and I am thinking about bed.....


1 comment: