The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Friday 26 November 2010

20th Nov - Yatch Racing in Melbourne Harbor

Up early as not sleeping great - it is much colder in Melbourne and I am cold at night. Kim is also in the spare room and so I am on the floor in the living room and I get woken by everyone through the night.

Lovely sunny morning though and I got to go sailing! :-)


Caught the tram downtown and to the water front (after chilled breakfast etc). The sailing here is on a Sat afternoon. How civilised! Normally sailing involves getting up at 6 in the morning in the cold and dark and always feeling slightly hungover for the first few hours. Today I felt wide awake and chilled.

The yatch club is right in Melbourne central. The views are fab. There are loads of kite surfers in the bay - cool - I want to add that to the list of silly sports!









Les was short of crew for the day and so I was placed on his boat (Mrs Overnewton) along with another guy Paul. There were 5 others on the crew. I was mast and mid bow. It was great to be out on the water again. The race was about 2h30 and started at 2. It was a competitive but very chilled boat and we were third across the line.

We had a few rums on board and then several more in the Yatch Club. A lovely group of people. They invited me back but I will be on my way by Wed (the next race in the evening). I got a call from Kim asking when I should have been back - apparently there were bets as to whether I would return at all that night - not sure why ;-). I felt like a naughty teenager. I had sobered up by the time I got back.

Got back to Mike's about 9ish and had left overs and chatted with the others till late ish when I crashed.

A great day in the sun on the water.

1 comment: