The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Friday 5 November 2010

5th Nov to 6th Nov - Bike Tour of Darwin

5th Nov - Bike tour of Darwin


View Australia Tracks in a larger map


Got up latish and did a big bike tour around Darwin. Firstly headed up to Casuarina and the shopping center to get some supplies and then headed out to Dripstone Park and Casuarina Coastal Reserve. I did venture to the nudist beach as well....





The beach was deserted and beautiful. I sat and had lunch there. I then biked south parallel to the coast and into Nightcliff. I then road along "Dick Ward Drive" in "Fannie Bay". Seriously, people in Darwin need to think these names through before writing them on street signs for children to see!



I popped into the sailing club for an hour or so to chat with some sailors there and see if anyone was heading out this weekend that I could get a ride with. I am missing sailing a bit. They said they would call me if anyone was going out.

Biked around Darwin and down to the water front. Darwin has had a lot of money spent on it in the last few years and has a new harbor front with shops, restaurants, cafes, an outdoor swimming area separated from the sea by nets (to keep out the box jelly fish) and a separate swimming pool with a wave machine (there is no naturally occurring surf in Darwin).


It was quite up market. Darwin felt more wealthy than Cairns (which felt a little run down).







I watched the sunset over a cup off coffee and took loads of pictures of the seagulls as a exercise in trying to improve my shooting skills.






On the way back home stopped off at the McCafe half way between where I am staying and Darwin Downtown. I would never normally venture into a McDonalds in the UK but in Aus they have McCafes - all of which have free internet access. I had not spent long on the net for ages and so I decided to contact everyone and upload photos etc. Ended up getting carried away and did not leave until 1am.....

I biked back to Jonathan's for 1.30 seeing loads and loads of drunken/high Aborigines on the way. I did not feel unsafe though. I found it really very sad. Several people had told me to expect it but I did not realise how bad it would be until I saw it with my own eyes. Biking through the parks today there were loads of Aboriginal people at the free BBQ sites (available for public use through out Aus in parks and beach areas) who were asleep under blankets or sitting around drinking. Apparently, most of them do not feel like they fit in anywhere now - the lost generation. They are not happy in the bush and they can't fit into western culture. Very sad.

6th Nov
- Bike tour of Darwin *2



View Australia Tracks in a larger map

Got up about 9.30 and felt a bit groggy as up late last night and also have a chesty cough. Not a cold. Biked to the local supermarket and took a while to get supplies for the next 4-5 days. Had lunch at the Chinese buffet :-) I also tried to get gas for my stove but they had run out and suggested that I go into Darwin (12km away) to get some.


Biked to Darwin via a different scenic route to yesterday and went to the tourist information place to find out about water stops and conditions of the National Parks etc. I had thought that I might do to Lichfield (which is closer) but after speaking with the people, I have changed my mind. Kakadu is wetlands and different to anything that I have ever seen where as Lichfield is apparently forests and waterfall like around Cairns.






Loved this bike path that just stopped!







Spent a couple of hours biking round various shops trying to get gas for camping. The place that was suggested to me by another shop in the morning shut at 1,30. Darwin is very quite for a Saturday. It turns out that a lot of places close on Sat afternoon and Sunday. I phoned a camping store that is on the way out of town and they said I could pick it up on my way to Kakadu tomorrow morning.

Went to another McCafe and did my blog and uploaded and organised my photos for an hour or so and then home to do laundry, organise equipment, cook dinner and read my book. I had to organise all of my things really well as for this next leg I need to take enough food for camping for 4-5 days and be able to carry 12 litres of water! I left behind a few things that I will not need in the Northern Territories (such as a warm coat) and had one side pannier for food, the top pannier for 10 litres of water, the other side pannier for trainers, clothes, electronic stuff, toiletries and cooking equipment. All of the food I have bought is cheap and easy to cook. At the moment I am living off porridge, banana sandwiches, apples and canned soup/stew - my trousers and shorts are falling off me....


A good chilled day - shame it took so long to faff to get gas and supplies and organise the trip for the next 4-5 days. However, I did get to see a lot more of Darwin.


It is very hot here and there are loads and loads of insects. I have to put on insect repellent like no-where else I have ever been. I am also using factor 30 sun cream every hour and still going browner (not burning though :-)). It rained a couple of times today really hard for about 10 mins each time but then stopped straight away like nothing had ever happened.

Loads of beware of crocs signs!

1 comment: