The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Wednesday 10 November 2010

10th Nov - Wetlands Cruise Kakadu National Park

View Australia Tracks in a larger map

Up at 5.30 to go on a Sunrise Wetlands cruise. It left at 6.30 and the sun had already risen by 5.30 but the light when we got on the water was fantastic. The boat tour took 2 hours and the scenery was different to anything I have ever seen. Really enjoyed taking photos and just sitting and watching. We saw thousands of birds and tens of eagles. We also saw about 5 crocodiles (nasty creatures).


About 10 minutes into the journey Emma, the guide, pointed out a water snake. We followed it for about 10 mins and watched as it curled up next to a tree. An eagle flew over the top and swooped down to try and catch it but pulled up at the last minute - much to our disappointment. The guide Emma said that it was the first time that she had seen such a snake alive in the river. She was very excited and was taking loads of photos herself.


As it turns out the river boat cruise on the Yellow water was a better cruise than the one down the road at Mary River as it was longer and at sunrise. The size of the wetlands is also supposed to be better with more birds and so it all worked out really well - however it was more expensive per hour. I really enjoyed the trip - well worth it.


I found out today that few days ago a German tourist had died on a 12km hike. He had gone off with out any water and got lost and died from dehydration 3km from the hi-way. Very sad. It really shows how careful you have to be traveling in this countryside. I was not sure whether it was the same German that was trying to walk to Alice Springs that the man in the camping store in Darwin was talking about..... it turned out that it was not (http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2010/11/01/190951_ntnews.html)

I met 2 lovely people on the tour, Dave from Sydney and his mum Carol (born in Wales) who lives in Darwin. They were on holiday for 1 week traveling round Kakadu area. Their camera ran batteries ran out and so I offered them my photos and we got chatting. After stuffing my face at the free buffet breakfast (that came with the river boat cruise), David and Carol kindly gave me a lift to the Aboriginal centre just down the road. It was really interesting to chat to Carol about the Aboriginal culture and their issues while walking round the centre. She is a associate professor at Charles Darwin University working in the field of infant mortality. They then dropped me in Jabaro around midday.

I had a lovely chilled afternoon at the town swimming pool. It was great to have a day off biking and out of the midday sun. The swimming pool is one of the main features of the town. It is a very well maintained 50m pool. I was just going to laze about in it but once I got in I ended up really enjoying doing some lengths. A big group of school kids (mainly Aboriginal - the mix is very different in the Northern Territories to else where in Aus) arrived later on and I really enjoyed people watching while eating my lunch. Sat and read my book in the shade - this is the life!

I caught the Greyhound bus (using the free ticket I had received from Ilona at the accommodation in yellow water) at 4.30 for the drive back to Darwin and wrote my diary and organised the photos from this morning.

Thanks to the amazing generosity of the Australians I have managed to stay for 1 week in Darwin and Kakadu and not paid as single dollar for accommodation or camping :-) From Sydney to Brisbane I spent a total of $10 (to camp for 1 night - discounted from $25). Traveling with Kim is a little different..... For some reason she is not happy to curl up in a ball literally anywhere that is free (even in 80% humidity and 35C in a tent) and wants things like air conditioning and a bathroom (madness ;-))! Equally though, she has been very generous with the cost sharing of the accommodation.

I am very glad that I have been managing not to pay for accommodation as Australia literally costs double in comparison to the UK with the current exchange rate! Food is double and when ever I do a tourist thing it blows my budget for the week. However, when I am not traveling with Kim I have been very contented to explore by hiking or biking and so fortunately there have been many days when I have spent nothing :-)

I am having a more awesome time than I knew was possible. I love the variety of traveling and seeing new people and places every day. Not missing England at all at the moment. It does feel a little strange being in just a hot climate in November though.

I think about my friends and family a lot though. Luvs you!

No comments:

Post a Comment