The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Wednesday 29 December 2010

20th Dec - Te Anau to Lake Gunn

My legs were surprising un-stiff this morning but by hip joints were a little sore.

Up late and packed up house. Went into Te Anau so that Christoph could pick up his tickets for the Milford Track Walk and I could take my bike to Andy the bike mechanic in town. I have a very annoying noise on my bike which I can't work out. Andy took the back part of the bike to pieces, cleaned everything and tightened it all up. Unfortunately it did not fix the noise and I still do not know what it is. After lunch of yesterdays left overs we left Te Anau and Christoph dropped me off just up the road so that he could catch his ferry for the Milford Trek (one of the most famous walks in the world - supposed to be the best of the Great Walks of NZ). The walk is 4 days long and he had booked to stay in all of the huts and get the ferry for $260. He was very lucky to get a place as only 40 people are allowed to set off each day (as there are only 40 places in the huts per night and camping is not allowed). I was a bit jealous but I cant afford it with my budget or time if I am to get to Arrow Town for Christmas.

We checked the forecast in the tourist information place and it is for heavy rain this afternoon and then terrible for the next few days! Shame. As it turned out the clouds cleared (it had been gray and raining all morning) as I got on my bike. I had a very slow ride to Lake Gunn from Te Anau. Based on normal times and distances I should have arrived at 5 but the views on the way were awesome and I kept on stopping and having a little wander off to take pictures and enjoy the time. The road is flat most of the way and the mountains and rivers flowing through were fab. There are fields of wild flowers all the way along. Everything looks great in the sun shine. I finally got to Lake Gunn to camp (the last spot on the way to Milford Sounds where camping is very cheap - $5). I will now have 45Km to do tomorrow to get to Milford Sounds - so my plan is to bike there and back again tomorrow and also do some hiking on one of the trails or a cruise on the lake.

There were awesome views sitting there eating beans and instant noodles. Once I had put up my tent I met Manuel (German), David (French) and Bernhard (Austria) on the beach. We had a fun evening chatting and trying to build a fire with the very wet wood. I was impressed that the boys managed it. They had some beer and some smokes. Lovely people. We were chatting till late. The others went off to sleep in their cars and me and Bernhard, who were camping next to each other, stayed up very late chatting until the thunderstorm that was supposed to arrive this afternoon finally arrived late!




No comments:

Post a Comment