The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Wednesday 29 December 2010

21st Dec -Lake Gunn to Milford Sounds

Did not get very much sleep last night. A major thunder storm arrived and it was very noisy and rained heavily. Fortunately I did not get too cold or wet and did manage to get some sleep. Manuel was sleeping in his car on the edge of the lake and over night the water level rose and at 6 he had to move the car as it as a foot into the water! A tree fell over in the forest where I was camping and woke me up early - a bit scary as could have landed on my tent. The wind was howling through the night. It was a lazy morning as everyone tried to sleep in as no one had managed to get much sleep through the morning. Manuel kindly offered to give me a lift to Milford Sounds and the weather is so bad it would be unsafe to bike in the wind etc.

I cooked everyone porridge and filter coffee in the dry car and we (David, Bernhard and Manuel) drove (in 2 cars) to Milford Sounds. The views on the way were amazing. There had been so much rain that the rivers where flooded. All of the mountains have waterfalls flowing off them - more waterfalls in such a small area than I knew was possible. I was thinking of doing a cruise instead of going hiking today but all of the day cruises had been canceled. We spent the afternoon in the cafe/pub in Milford Sounds and had hot soup and scones - very civilized when the weather is so bad outside.
I was not sure whether to try and hitch back to Te Anau to stay at Kylie's again or to stay in Milford Sounds at the Lodge in the dorm accommodation and then try and get on a cruise tomorrow when the weather is better. I tossed a coin and it said stay - so I did.

Me and Manuel checked into the Lodge for the night in the dorm rooms around 4 and had a very chilled afternoon/evening reading and writing my blog and chatting with new people. I had free pasta and cold beans for dinner. It is difficult to do when everyone else is in a car and had carried proper food here and was eating veg and meat :-( Oh well at least I am skinny at the moment.

The cruise was canceled and so David and Bernhard came back to the Lodge and stayed there with us. The road out of Milford Sounds was closed and no one from the lodge could leave
Early night as not much sleep last night. Very glad to be in the warmth and not camping tonight - even though it broke my principle of not to pay for accommodation in NZ!

It is strange to meet travelers rather than natives over the last week. I have not really stayed in back packers etc so I have not met very many other people actually traveling. I has been nice.
I was worried about Christoph doing the Milford Track in this weather....

No comments:

Post a Comment