The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Saturday 12 March 2011

11th March - Sultan Bathery to Manenthavady


View India to 18th March 2011 in a larger map




Went for a late breakfast with Johnie and had a short wander round town in the day light. Said goodbye to Johnie and then headed off. It was my first proper day back on the road on my own again and for the second time in this trip I felt a little lonely. I have been surrounded by friends for the last month (English funny ones at that) and I knew that I was on my own again. I will probably not meet any other Westerners until Goa - atleast a week away.

I knew that it would just take a day or so to get used to again. The ride was absolutely beautiful though. The small back roads through tea plantations are fantastic for biking. The torrain is hilly though and I the route did not decesnd to sea level today as I thought it might do. The average alitude was 1000m.

When I arrived at Manenthavady at about 4 I had to stop biking as I found out that there are no other towns with lodges on the route that I was taking to the coast. The next 50km goes though jungle regions. I wanted to continue biking but it really was not sensible to do so. Infact I was sent this link today about a cyclist being attacked in the Jungle area only kms from Johnie's house (where I was cycling yesterday):

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/coimbatore/Jumbo-attacks-Canadian-cyclist-near-Masinagudi/articleshow/7683885.cms

A Canadian cyclist was attacked by a wild elephant!

I spent about 1 and a half hours trying to find a room but most lodges were full as there is a huge cirus in town and so in the end I had to treat myself to expensive room with hot water, cotton sheets, a western style toilet and a tv! Luxury for £12. Budget shot! So much for getting back into my normal traveling style..... I did enjoy it.

I even had a lovely meal in the restaurant. Had an early night. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment