The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Thursday 17 March 2011

18th March - Gokarna


View India to 18th March 2011 in a larger map

Not what I was expecting to see living 10m from where I am staying....

Up early and went off for a wander round town. The light was perfect for taking photos. Had a leisurely breakfast of cereal at 8 and read my book for a while before heading to use the internet to do some blog things and planning for the next few months. Headed back to pick up my good lens for my camera and had a look round the main temple and the little streets and markets. It is a nice little town.

I do find it very strange there being so many westerners around. I had not seen any other white people for days and here they are all over the place! There seem to be 3 types of people. The people on holiday dressed like they would be if they were still in America...... The travelers that have been in India for a while but would not look too out of place on an English high street.... And then there is the strange hippy-westerner dressed in a weird Western/Indian/Hippy fashion.... dreadlocks, weird tats and funky earing....

A mad hippy guy went made when he thought I was taking a photo of him. In fact I was taking a photo of some monks to his right. He threatened to break my camera if I did not give him money for the photo... too many drugs me thinks!

I heard about Om beach from some friends and decided to head there in the afternoon. It is about 9km away from where I was staying. The bike ride was great but very hilly. The views where amazing and there was hardly any traffic on the single track road.

I had a lovely drink at an expensive cafe over looking the beach and then a wander along the beach and a swim. Enjoyed reading my book and taking photos of jugglers etc.

Met a guy who is traveling round India on a Royal Enfield. He is the guy in the photos doing handstands.

A lovely chilled couple of hours. I left the beach about 5.45 to make sure I had enough time to get back to Gokarna before dark. I was accosted by some rich Indians, who were on a group holiday from Bangalore, who where on the way to the beach. They were desperate to have their photos with me...

I got back just in time to see the sunset on the Gokarna beach. Chilled evening. Had a meal at a local restaurant, nattered with people and read my book.













No comments:

Post a Comment