The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Wednesday 16 March 2011

16th March - Udupi to Kundapura


View India to 18th March 2011 in a larger map





Up at 8.30 as reading a good book till late last night. Had a lovely breakfast at the restaurant attached to the hotel. A lovely 92 year old woman joined me at my table. She used to be a teacher and het English was really good. I had a huge masala dosa and a large coffee :)

I decide to spend the morning organising some things. I got my zip on one of my pannier bags fixed and the spent ages on the internet. I am trying to find some people to join me cycling in India, China and Tibet. Spent a while emailing people and on cycling forums. Also emailed friends and family in the UK.

I had some Orange and Pineapple juice for lunch as I was not hungry after the huge breakfast I was given.



The traffic over the last few days has been crazy at times. I have been forced off the side of the road a couple of times by buses hurling towards me on the wrong side of the road. I thought it might be a good idea to get some mirrors for my bike and a horn. I spent a very pleasant couple of hours in a local bike shop getting it all fitted and testing it all out. The shop owner is a lovely man and his English is excellent. He kindly let me use his toilet at his family home and I met his wife and had a drink with her. He said that he did not want payment and wished me well on my travels.... what a lovely man!


By the time I had got all of my faffing done it was 4ish by the time I got on my bike! It took an hour or so to get out of town and off the highway but I then had a great ride through fields and little villages along the coast. A lovely ride.

Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7


I think it is actually more scary to have mirrors as I can now see quite how close the vehicles are that pass me! The mirrors do not help me handle the most dangerous thing on the road: the little old men biking towards me on the wrong side of the road. I never have any idea which way they will swerve....


I arrived at a town called Kundapura just as it got dark and checked in at a lodge. Had a veg meal for dinner and a wonder round town to find an internet cafe but they were all closed. Went back to my room and finished of a book instead :)

Spoke to Alan (an Irish friend of Miranda's who I met in Masinagudi) for ages on the phone. He is biking round India as well and it sounds like we will be able to meet up and bike together in North India in a fee weeks. Awesome!

Emily Jefferson's location@19:54,3/16



1 comment:

  1. Mirrors like that perform 2 functions.(1) make it so you can see behind (2) when the sun is setting behind you, will blind truck and bus drivers and make cycling in India all that more interesting. Hope you are having a good time it will change the further north you go.Trucks will quadruple when you are north of Delhi as well as other traffic.

    ReplyDelete