The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Monday 28 March 2011

28th March - Palanpur to Bhor

More Photos to follow

One of the best days biking I have done yet!


I woke up at 6.30 and sent emails and text messages to 2 of my closest friends: Emma and Jacob. They share the same birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY JACOB AND EMMA!

I knew that I had a tough day ahead of me to climb on to the Western Ghats Plateau and so I got ready reasonably quickly. I had the best breakfast in India yet. The staff at the Golden Place were really lovely to me and looked after me. They cooked me an omelet and Upma both flavored perfectly. They even sat and chatted while I had breakfast. One of the guys would love to immigrate to the UK to work. I explained about working visa etc and said they would need to do paper work but even then access was unlikely.... Not want they wanted to hear. It really was a perfect stay at the hotel though.


I set off in a really good mood. The light was great first thing in the morning and so I took loads of photos. The first 20-25km was flat to Mahad. I then turned East along the state highway signposted to Pune. As this is a state highway to a major city I was expecting it to be reasonably busy. How wrong could I be? It is a single track tarmaced road which climbs over a pass gaining a height of 800m! It was a tough climb but totally worth it.

The first 20km climbs up with views back to the valley that I had cycled though in the morning. I was stopped several times by people in the villages I passed though. They wanted to talk. I am so fortunate that so many people speak English! I am so bad at earning languages that it would be a real problem to travel otherwise...

At about 400m the road turns round a mountain and there are the most amazing views of the valley and the mountains on the other side. The mountains are layered and the sight reminded me of the Grand Cannon (although obviously not as amazing). A short distance after this view opens up there are several little huts tucked into the side of the cliff selling food and drinks to the tourists that travel along this great pass. I spent ages there chatting with the very friendly people, taking photos and playing with the very cheeky monkeys. People gave me food and drink with out any payment and everyone wanted to be in my photos. The monkeys kept on stealing food and then running away with it. Crisps were a particular favourite! Watching them open water and soft drink bottles was very funny.



I am spending about 150RS on water per day and another 100RS on other drinks - just to keep hydrated. It was really hot climbing today - about 45c.

I loved the colour of this ladies sari - really beautiful! The views were so amazing and the people there so much fun that I stayed far too long but I thought I only had another 40km to do (as that was the distance printed in my Indian Eicher Atlas - it lied). In fact it was 50km and a rough ride. The pass climbed to 850m. The landscape then changed to forests on the other side and then there was large area of reservoirs and lakes with desert around them. It was tough riding as it was still very hilly. There was practically nothing but scrub land and farms for 50km until Bhor. An amazing ride but my legs were struggling by the end.

I am enjoying listening to audio books as I bike along. Yesterday was The Prince of Zenda and today 10 Days in a Madhouse. :-)

Bhor itself was a very poor city with lots of shacks. I was very glad to find a lodge on the edge of town that was secure and reasonable inside. I would not have been happy else where in town. I arrived at Bhor at dusk and just in time to find a lodge in the daylight and I was checked in as it turned black. I was tired and did not really feel like leaving the lodge. I spent a bit of time playing with my GPS tracks on my laptop and writing emails and had an early-ish night. It had been a great day biking. I love mountains.

Not sure why I am carrying so much stuff though - it is hard work!

No comments:

Post a Comment