The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Thursday 10 March 2011

10th March - Masinagudi to Sultan Bathery


View India to 18th March 2011 in a larger map

I did not quite manage to leave at 8 but 10 was close enough! Had a lovely breakfast of porridge and my last few cups of great coffee and off I went on my bike!

I have had such a lovely time in the jungle with Johnie and the other couch surfers. It was an amazing section of my trip. I feel like I really know this area well now - and I have fallen in love with it. I very much value Johnie's friendship. He has been extremely kind and generous. A very funny, lovely man! I was sad to leave.

The ride on a single track road through the jungle was amazing. It is a little worrying as there is loads of wildlife and the wild elephants have been known to attack people on motorbikes passing through. Fortunately I did not see any wild elephants and safely passed though with out incidence. The scenery changes from Jungle (Mudumalai National Park) to Tea Plantations closer to to Gudalur. I love the mountains round here.

An hour or so after I had left the house, Johnie met me on the road on his Royal Enfield motorbike. We had planned to met for lunch in Gudalur. He had to go there anyway to do some paper work things. We arrived in Gudalur but after we had done some faffing it was still too early for lunch and so we carried on to Sultan Bathery. I biked on my own as I was going to slow for the motorbike but we kept on meeting up. It was fun to have a support crew!

The ride to Sultan Bathery was also hilly and passed through miles of tea planations. I love this area of India. We arrived at Sultan Bathery about 3ish by which time we were very hungry. We had a huge lunch. Johnie went shopping for 3 pairs of glasses!!!

Johnie decided to stay in Sultan Bathary as it was getting late in the day to travel back. After checking in at a cheap hotel and showering, we went for a or 2 at the beer in the local bar and then spent the evening wandering round town and exploring.

There were some lovely little cake shops and supermarkets. There was a rediculous selection of toothpaste and brushes....



Nice to have some company.

More photos soon!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment