The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Tuesday 15 March 2011

15 March - Mangalore to Udupi


View India to 18th March 2011 in a larger map

Up about 8 and went out to have breakfast and to get some clothes mended at the tailors. The hotel manager very kindly looked up the address for the Samsung Service center in town and I went off in an Auto Rickshaw to see if I could get a replacement screen for my laptop. I could not at the first place that I went but they gave me directions to the next place, who then gave me directions to the correct place. The Rickshaw driver was very happy to sit and wait while I talked to the people. It was an interesting way to see many parts of Mangalore. It is a big city!

The people at the Samsung place were very helpful but could only send off my laptop to Bangalore to be fixed and then send back in 1 week. However, they did arrange for a replacement screen to be sent to Goa for this Saturday so that I can get it fixed there without having to wait around for several days in one place. Yippeeee... I hope that it does arrive when and where they say it will.

It took several hours to sort this out and explore the city and I got on my bike about 1. I had great aims to bike out of the city and get going but I then saw a pizza hut followed by a KFC. I managed to be strong and bike past both but when I then saw a Dominos pizza I weakened and I decided to see whether a pizza in India from a big chain is the same as in the UK.... Jacob and Rachel would be so proud of me! I then spent more on lunch than I had for the night at the hotel!

It was very lovely though :-)
It was 2 by the time I left Managlore. I really did not enjoy the ride out of town and all of the traffic. I could not see any alternative route on google maps though.... Cycling on the highway north of Mangalore was not fun either. It is a very industrial area and there were loads of truck and buses. I was forced off the road a couple of times by buses coming towards me on my side of the road! The crazy old men cycling towards me on the wrong side are even more scary though as I have no idea which way they will swerve....

After about 40km, I found an alternative route along the coast on single track roads through villages. It was quite a lot longer and I was running short on time to get to a town with a lodge before dark but I had had enough of the highway. It was so lovely to get on the back roads - but the condition of the lanes is really bad and so it was slow going.

I stopped for tea at a lovely little cafe just by the beach, next to a huge temple. People were singing at the temple and the singing amplified to the surrounding area. It was lovely to listen to and very peaceful. A pleasant change from the highway...

I pushed on an got to Udupi at dusk. Just enough time to find a nice lodge and settle in before dark. I had a little wander round and had a "meal" for diner in the veg restaurant downstairs. I was only wanting a small something but this arrived. Spent the evening reading and on the net :-)

Awesome!


No comments:

Post a Comment