The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Tuesday 8 March 2011

5th March - Ride on the train from Ooti to Coonoor

I had a really fun day.

I phoned up the parcel company first thing and they told me that the parcel containing my quick release is in Ooty so we decided to go to Ooty. The others were saying how much they wanted to go on the famous train ride from Ooty to Coonoor and I thought it would be fun to do at the same time.

We left at 7.30 so that we could catch the 9am train. The girls from Iceland did not come along as Sola was feeling sick. Johnie did not fancy the train ride and he went off to the Ooty Club for Bacon and Eggs.

Sophie and I had a great time on the train ride to Coonoor. We were in the expensive carriage with all of the Western tourists and rich Indian tourists. The dynamic between the rich city Indians on the train and the more rural Indians was interesting. The rich Indians where openly showing physical interaction between the sexes - with one man happily sitting on his wife's lap and cuddling up. They were very chatty with us.

Unfortunately our seats where on the wrong side of the train to see the really great views of the valleys but we could still see enough. The train route is beautiful and it was lovely to see more of this amazing area. I have really fallen for this region and would be very happy living here.

We went for breakfast in Coonoor and then waited around at the station in the sunshine for the next train to arrive. The train was late and we entertained ourselves taking silly photos with the train guards.

The delayed train was really busy and we could only get non-seated places in the standing carriage. It was fine as we experienced both sides of Indian trains. The people were very friendly and moved over so that we could sit down. We got the normal attention from the single males but I was much more comfortable about it than I would have been if I had been traveling on my own.

I enjoyed waiting for a small area of forest and pointing and shouting "Tiger" and watching loads of Indian guys jump up and move to the other side of the carriage......

It was 1.30 by the time we got back to Ooty. Johnie was really lovely and went to get my parcel for me while I was on the train ride. He took us for a few drinks at the Ooty club and we then went for a huge Chinese meal. Next, off to the market and Modern stores for some shopping. This is becoming routine. We would have left town earlier but we decided to wait for another couch surfer, Ruth, to arrive by bus so that we could give her a lift back.

We picked her up about 5.30. She is a lovely bubbly person from Doncaster in England. She has a very strong accent which is very cute.

Johnie took us on the scenic route home and we saw loads of endangered Nigari Monkeys. I got some great photos. I am really glad I have seen these beautiful creatures only 5m away.

A fun evening with Johnie and his harem....



I fitted my new quick release but noticed a spoke had broken. I tried to replace it with a spare I had bought from England but as I have replaced the back wheel in Australia I found that my spares are the wrong size! It feels like the Universe is conspiring against me leaving this beautiful place. I am not sure if Indian bikes have similar sized spokes and if it will be easy to get a new one...........

No comments:

Post a Comment