The Route

The Route
It is a very long way.....

Monday 28 March 2011

27th March - Udgi to Poladpur

Photos to follow

I have decided I am slightly mad.... I am running behind schedule to get to Ajanta caves and then on to catch a train North on the 3rd (as I had too much fun in Goa and other places) and so rather than thinking "I know I will catch a bus or Rickshaw to make up the distances", I have instead decided to use it as a challenge and been exhausting myself over the last 3 days. I did 143km today (again) in 45c temperatures and in the mountainous Western Gants. I ended up climbing over 1571M.

It is so easy to get dehydrated as I a sweating like mad. I drank at least 12 litres of water, 1 fresh orange juice, 2 fresh lemon juices, 1 fresh cane sugar juice and 1 bottle of mango juice to keep up the water and blood sugar levels.

I was awake at 6 and managed to drag myself out of bed at 6.15. Showered and packed up and was going to get on the road straight away but I was surprised to find that the restaurant beneath the lodge was actually open (most places don't seem to open for breakfast till about 8) and so I decided to go there. I had my normal coffee (made with the coffee power I am carrying and asking the people to fill with hot milk and water) and some very hot veg curry with bread. I find it strange that around here people do eat white bread rolls. I did not see these in places further South. In fact in Goa they had loads of freshly baked lovely bread. I just put that down to the Western demand.

I packed and was on my bike by 7.30. I was happy to leave that little town. The people were not very friendly and I had felt ripped off at the lodge. It was so bad but there was no other choice. The Rickshaw drivers had also tried to rip me off last night. I just did not get a good vib about the place. It was good to get on the road again.

One of the first things I saw this morning was this lorry on the side of the road. Obviously it had come off the road during the night. The guys were squatting there, bored to tears, waiting for some help to arrive.

The route today was on the highway again, but unlike yesterday there was quite a lot of traffic. It was not particularly fun for most of the afternoon. The terrain was hilly and the countryside not particularly interesting. I did enjoy listening to the Price of Zenda on audio book though. The area is brown with all of the wheat that they grow. It was interesting to see the side of the hills all graded with steps to grow as many crops as possible.

The lorry driver that had been stalking me yesterday managed to find me again today. Arrggg. When I stopped he came up to me and gave me a note saying his name, his phone number and telling me that he loved me. Aren't I the lucky girl!? I said I was not interested and that I have a boy friend. I texted his licence plate and his phone number to one of my Indian contacts for safety and carried on. I just ignored him and told him to go away for the rest of the day. Fortunately, it came to nothing and I managed to shake him off later on in the day.

At about 4 I reached the top of a pass and had a break at a lovely little cafe on the top. It had great views over the river run to the sea in the distance. The lorry driver turned up again and I headed off. He is carrying a very heavy concrete load and so often goes slower than I do....
The last 20km was a bit of a killer. My legs were starting to get tired and there is a 7km climb up from sea level to 600m. The views were fab from the top though and there was then a 11km gradual decline into Poladpur which meant I could free wheel without breaking the whole way into town. It was a good end to the day.

I arrived about 6.15 with enough time in town to check out a couple of lodges. I was glad that I did as the first places I looked at were expensive for the quality of the room. I then found a really really lovely lodge called the Golden Palace. The staff were really friendly and the room fantastic for 400RS. It had hot water, a shower and a western toilet and was nicely decorated. Completely different to the room I stayed in yesterday for the same price. I had a great meal in the restaurant of Mutton Fry. Stayed up too long chatting on the phone and trying to catch up with blog. After showering, eating and organising at the end of the day there is not much time left for blog stuff right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment